Sign in to follow this  

02-04 cr250 vs. 05+ cr250

I'm sure this thread has been around before, but couldn't find anything.

Before I go dumping lots O' cash into my 02, do I really just need to focus on getting an 05? I went and test rode a guys 05 for sale and motor felt fine (on the street).

Are most aftermarket parts swapable to the 05? Foot pegs, pipes, silencer, bling, etc.

Lots of people bag the 02-04 motor so bad on here, I just wonder why I am investing money into this bike when I could get an 05. Any thoughts? Mine does run good and in good shape, but just a little uneasy after hearing the bashers.

I'm sure this thread has been around before, but couldn't find anything.

Before I go dumping lots O' cash into my 02, do I really just need to focus on getting an 05? I went and test rode a guys 05 for sale and motor felt fine (on the street).

Are most aftermarket parts swapable to the 05? Foot pegs, pipes, silencer, bling, etc.

Lots of people bag the 02-04 motor so bad on here, I just wonder why I am investing money into this bike when I could get an 05. Any thoughts? Mine does run good and in good shape, but just a little uneasy after hearing the bashers.

How reasonable was the 05' price wise? Did you check the stickies above and check the archives pretty good? Sometimes it takes awhile when searching. I guess also it all depends on what you're setting your bike up for. mx or hare scramble or trail bike or? Have you just looked at mods to make your 02 work better? I bet that might spark some info...

Here's one thread right off the top that might have some good info for you... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=496279&highlight=2002+cr+250+mods

I'm also not convinced that the 02-04 is so horrible...lots just love their 02's and just set them up right. I don't put too much stock in mags either. I read them and try to get whatever info but don't take what they say as final.

I always thought it didn't make sense that the honda made the fastest lap time in this test but got put toward the bottom of this "shootout"... Especially since the handling is supposed to be so good.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_0503_2005_250cc_two_stroke_compared/photo_07.html

All 250 2 strokes from any major company for the last 10 years or so are pretty damn good...at least I think. I think it's more setup . Look at how close the testing is for the different bikes.

http://www.dirtrider.com/reviews/motocross/141_0503_2005_250cc_two_stroke_compared/index.html

It's all in how you slice it and I don't necessarily believe in all of these guys assessments. It's good to munch on . Maybe you should just keep your 02 unless you get a great deal on an 05 and above ..... Good luck figuring!!!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

I have an '02 and an '03. Get the squish set on the head and ditch the Mikuni and you're good to go motor wise.

I agree with PiePlate and David. The newer suspension (with 5 degree axle set-back) would be the biggest advantage on the '05+ ('04 have the newer cartridges w/o the 5 degree sat-back), the '02-'04 engines are pretty easy to make run well IMO. I had my '02 suspension revalved and resprung and have been very pleased with the results. Many folks feel the '92-'01 engine in the later chassis is a better solution, but I'm really pleased with how mine responded to a Keihin PWK carb swap (no head mod yet, OEM pipe and the Rekluse adds like 7oz to flywheel, 13/49 gearing). I plan to do the head mod (squish) next piston change.

Thanks for the comments.

First off, mine isn't a roach and I ride mostly mx track (don't race anymore, and for sure slower than I used to be)

I'm just dumping money into it because I want it CRAZY clean. It may be a keeper, and possibly the last bike for quite some time. So again, don't want to pimp out an 02 if the 05 is waaay better. I plan on keeping this bike maybe forever.

Mine is very clean, runs pretty dang decent, and I did just buy the PWK from the TT suggestions. I'm actually pretty happy so far, but an 05 isn't too far off price wise and just wondered if I would regret not owning one.

Edited by panicrev

I havent ridden an 05, but I would find it hard to think that the 05 would be way better.

If you want an insane clean 250 smoker then go buy a 2012 KTM 250SX. Otherwise, enjoy your CR. Changing from 02-05 seems like little effect whereas a new 250SX would just be a major change.

Couldn't agree more!!!!!

BUT, 2k vs. $7k. Not happening.

If you want an insane clean 250 smoker then go buy a 2012 KTM 250SX. Otherwise, enjoy your CR. Changing from 02-05 seems like little effect whereas a new 250SX would just be a major change.

That new 250sx really got my attention too, what a sexy machine! Unfortunately, I can't justify it right now.

As for trading an '02 CR that you have some (good) history with vs a '05+ that may or may not be as reliable, not worth the risk for such little reward IMO.