trail riding 98 CR250-FMF?

Hi everyone. Been trail riding my 98 Cr250 for a little over a year now, and let me tell you....it's a BEAST! I'm looking to tame her down just a bit to make it easier on me. I'm looking into flywheel weights and the like, but I've read many of you suggesting the FMF gnarley pipe. Can I get some background information on why this is the best choice?

Also, what silencer are you using on it? I don't want to be "Quiet", but the Pro Circuit that I have on it is a bit loud.

Thanks!:busted:

I just picked up a 2001 250R that had a FMF Fatty pipe on it when I bought it. The first ride on the bike was miserable, I felt like I was riding a 125, all top end.

I ended up selling the Fatty and bought a Gnarly, what a difference in the power range, much better spread of power. I has WAY more bottom now and a much stronger mid range with still plenty of top end for off road. I have a Turbine Core II sparky that I run with it.

FWW is in the works. My plan is to do a total rebuild over Jan-Feb. Going to add a 13 oz FWW while I'm in there. I'm also looking for a headlight system, so I'll be adding a lighting coil while Im in there.

I just happened to see this and thought I would chime in. I have an RM 250(96), and most know that RMs have light flywheels and are stall prone. I ride tight to semitight woods, and after i added a Steahly 12oz. fww the bike is a tractor. I have the stock pipe, and boyesen power reeds as well as a PWK airstriker carb. I can ride a gear higher and pull out of corners with no clutch. The front end is easier to control when I need to loft it over obstacles(better traction instead of breaking rear wheel loose). I feel you will like a 10 or 12 oz. fww.:busted::busted:

thanks for the input Jcat. Right after I rode the CR for the first time I knew I was in trouble. I have a PWK airstriker, but have yet to put it on the bike because I'm not a tech, and I have a feeling there are going to be some jetting issues. So if anyone has suggestions on Jetting a PWK from a 2000 CR250 swapped on a 1998....feel free to chime in.

clemsonfox, I have seen lighting coils in different places but can't put a finger on one while I'm at work. I know Baja designs makes a complete kit, and there are aslo kits that don't require a coil. They use a rechargeable battery pack monted separetely. They tend to run at an eaqual price and haven't heard any opinions of one over the other.

Check the slidecut # on your PWK; mine is a #7 cut, and my biggest problem jetting has been in the first part of the needle(slight lean spot). Stock straight diameter with a shorter L1 seems good so far. The #7 slide is leaner through the first half of the throttle than my orig #5. I am not familiar with Hondas but I hope this helps. I dont feel you will be that far from stock on the new carb. What carb did the CR come stock with? By the way I have a Turbine core 2 silencer/SA. Good luck

It has been my experience that when someone says how hard their 2-stroke is to ride and that power comes on like crazy all of the sudden, they aren't jetted right. Of course a flywheel weight helps, but getting the pilot and needle circuits working properly should have a bone-stock 250 smoker pinging up the steepest trails easily.

Check out James Dean Jetting for help with your Airstriker, his kit is money well spent. I swapped a 36mm into my 03 CR125 and spent a couple of hours riding and swapping needles and clip positions, now it's night-and-day better than the Mikuni that was on there. His kit isn't cheap at $70 or so but having all the right jets and needles to cover the range makes jetting easy.

Hemi, put my name on that coil! Don't think I'll have spare money until after the holidays though.

ssanddemon: My concern with Jetting it myself is I would be afraid that I would get in over my head way too fast. What would you say the difficulty factor is with it?

Hemi, put my name on that coil! Don't think I'll have spare money until after the holidays though.

ssanddemon: My concern with Jetting it myself is I would be afraid that I would get in over my head way too fast. What would you say the difficulty factor is with it?

2 on the scale of 1-10, this for a PWK or variant like the Airstriker- they are especially easy to do jettting changes on, right on the side of the trail.

Jetting is a great skill to have, since a bike shop can't take your bike out for real ride tests anyway, you really need to do a test 'n tune day in your riding area and just try different combinations to get it right. It's pretty rewarding to have a 2 stroke that crackles its way up steep stuff right off idle, screams on top and idles peacefully as well; the only way to get that without your own mechanic is to do it yourself.

One of the nice things about James Dean, and the reason I like to recommend his company is that he really REALLY knows jetting and answers any question no matter how trivial. There are some tutorials here on TT as well, I believe.

Good deal. Thanks for the info. I'll check it out.

I was replacing my throttle and clutch cables, and was going to clean the air filter etc. Do some general repair/maintainence on her and noticed some issues. Looks like I'm going to get to know this machine REAL well over the next few months. I have some parts to source, figure I'll go ahead and rebuild her since I've ridden her for a year, and don't know the last time she was rebuilt. So....with fingers crossed and you guys wishing me luck.....I'm going to tear her down.

Newbie rebuild thread? :busted: