Sign in to follow this  

New 265 top end, can't start my RM now?

Ok, some history...

1993 RM 250

Last race I lost compression (ran it till she quit), took off top end and some coating came off cyl.

downsized_1011011852.jpg

I sent out cyl. to eric gorr and he had a 265 cyl. on the self ready to go so made the deal and got it.

I installed with the new gaskets, piston, etc.

The 93 historically was a hard starter, but would start.

I got everything together and kick, kick, kick (kicked about 100 times or more...lol)...even tried a little start fluid and put in a few new plugs.

I had coated the new cyl. with raw premix and thought the plugs were getting too much oil on them, but after the 3rd plug not really any oil/much on it.

When I was trying to start bike it would back fire and or fart. It never did this before the new top end.

I say oil/raw premix spooge on my pipe when i quit kicking, where pipe goes into cyl. It is a tight seal, but think the back firing forced out this oil that ran down pipe

1102011945.jpg

Talked to eric and he had me check a few things..

A. disconnect kill switch (did it)

B. check left side crank seal and check for gas in the fly wheel area (found none)

c. Check the head gaskets, rubber o rings (checked/looked fine)

d. clean carb (did it)

I also checked for spark (looked ok), and fuel is making it 2 the plug.

So, I tried again yesterday and kicked about 200 times, even tried to push start.

It would violently back fire and fart throughout this session (not every kick, but every so often).

I changed out the plugs twice and both looked clean and wet...

I pushed it back on stand and walked away.

Any help would be great!! plz

It's your carb. But by now your bike is most likely severely flooded. If you have the strength try kicking it a few times with the throttle wide open ~ 10 times max. If that doesn't work, pull the carb and clean it and make sure that your pilot jet and circuit is clear. Also check your air screw setting.

Then install a new plug (or a really clean one) and kick 10 more times and report back. If the bike has always been a hard starter then either your carb is ready for a cleaning or you need to go to a larger pilot jet.

I agree, my 05 was flooded like crazy when I bought it. It started in the sellers driveway first kick. but when I got it home it wouldnt start. 2 plugs and starting fluid, still no start, held it wide open and it fired up after a few kicks. rode it up the street to clean it out and all is good now! So ya try holding it wide open.. Good Luck!

I find that with my '93 RM I need to:

1: Turn choke on

2: Sway bike side to side to just get fuel sloshing around the carby

3: Kick bike 4-5 times with choke, no throttle

4: Turn off choke, half throttle, kick once, if it doesn't start, repeat from step 1

Also, just a bit of a dumb thing to suggest maybe, but was the fuel on? nvm just re-read, fuel making it through, just a thought

If it's really flooded do the old plug out, bike upside down, and kick her over trick, to clean out the crank.

funny thing, when i got my engine back from eric gorr,265 as well, i had the same deal. i kicked it probably 300 times over a 3 day span. the arch of my foot was bruised and i was ready to take a hammer to my bike. then i squeezed the fuel line a couple times to make sure there weren't any air bubbles keeping the fuel from getting to the carb and it started on the next kick and started easy after that. I have no idea what the real problem was but the first start was the most frustrating thing ever.

from what i've read doing internet searches, sometimes bikes have a hell of a time starting for the first time after a rebuild, i have no idea why.

funny thing, when i got my engine back from eric gorr,265 as well, i had the same deal. i kicked it probably 300 times over a 3 day span. the arch of my foot was bruised and i was ready to take a hammer to my bike. then i squeezed the fuel line a couple times to make sure there weren't any air bubbles keeping the fuel from getting to the carb and it started on the next kick and started easy after that. I have no idea what the real problem was but the first start was the most frustrating thing ever.

from what i've read doing internet searches, sometimes bikes have a hell of a time starting for the first time after a rebuild, i have no idea why.

Any bike that hasn't been started in a while I lean over till gas pukes steady out the overflow. Then fire her up.

Basically doing the same thing, filling the system with fuel and getting the air out.