Sign in to follow this  

Problems starting after sitting with no oil?

Hey all! I have a 09 400s that has been sitting with no oil in it for about 3 weeks. I was thinking there could possibly be some issues on start-up if all the oil has oozed out of the cylinder.

Can I just fill her up and start it or should I be doing a procedure first?

-thank you!

I don't think there will be an issue as far as I know. I would make sure all the oil is drained and fill it up with the correct amount, might as well change oil filter as well and you should be good to go

Well three weeks in a swamp might be a problem, but if you had it indoors/out of high humidity there is no point in opening it up to check for corrosion - really not likely in three weeks, unless under water :busted:.

By "oozed out of the cylinder", I take it to mean drained off the cylinder wall and bottom of the piston etc. There will still be some oil residue and everything will get sprayed with oil at start-up.

As RiD3HaRD says, fill her up and go for it.

I dont forsee any problems with just filling her up with oil and starting it.

Mine sat without oil for about that time when I did my big-bore, and that was with most of the engine opened up. No issues here.

Id turn it over without choke to start with for around 10-20 seconds just to get the oil round then give it some choke and off you go .

I got my bike together last night. Thanks for the assurance everyone, but just because i'm a little paranoid and I like to baby my toys I put it in 5th and pushed it a little bit just to turn the engine over and get the oil moving. Then as suggested turned it over without the choke for a few.

Pulled the choke out and it started right up! :busted:

Id turn it over without choke to start with for around 10-20 seconds just to get the oil round then give it some choke and off you go .

I would think the opposite, the sooner you get the engine running and get the oil pressure up the better, otherwise your spending those 10-20 seconds hoping there is a film of oil on things while your oil pressure slowly builds with only the power of the starter spinning things....

just my opinion, I certainly don't know what the hell im talking about.