Sign in to follow this  

My moto van project..

Picked up an 02 Savana 2500, standard length. Knew from the beginning it would be a tight fit but I read enough posts here and saw some helpful pics, I decided to give it a go on squeezing everything into the standard length van.

Took quite a few pics, figured it might help someone eventually to share. It is currently about 90% done. The only thing left to do are put in some anchors for tie downs, and I believe I'm building a bench for storage over the wheel well on the left, as I plan on putting the bike in the corner on the right.

If anyone has any suggestions on things to do to make it better, let me know. Please dont bother to tell me what I coulda/shoulda done with it lol as its already too late for any of that. Me an the old man did the best we could for 2 amateurs moto van builders.

If anyone has suggestion on how to tie the bike down please let me know!! Right now I"m thinking a flush mount D ring type thing in the middle of the floor to go to one foot peg, and then maybe something to go from the bars to the top right of the ceiling/wall or something? not sure yet how the best way to do it.. The wall is SOLID and the bike can go right up against it. Just need a way to secure it.

• Like 1

Day 1... went to look at it. just a dirty mechanics work van.

614e1379.jpg

Spray painted the rear windows.. obvious moto stickers. Looks good from inside and out.. and cost $2 for a can of paint. Looks like tint from the outside. Pulled the door panels off, stuffed with r13 insulation.

ce5af6be.jpg

f83f3763.jpg

Pulled the rubber floor up. Cleaned it, and spray painted it with some rusteolum just to kind of protect it from rust a little bit..

3d1b788d.jpg

Paneled over the doors with some pretty thin wood so that it would kind of take shape of the doors.. Cut out a spot for cans of oil and such in the back door.

df81784a.jpg

c5d3ac05.jpg

Cut out the wood for the floor, got it screwed in.

02165c96.jpg

Started on walls. used thicker wood as I didnt want to put a bar through it or something. Still kind of bent to take shape of the wall a little, but was harder. R13 insulation behind it there as well.

6b5aa5e9.jpg

More walls..

e909be86.jpg

Ceiling, insulation up there as well (was running out so just used what i had left.

e09afc83.jpg

started laying down some indoor/outdoor carpet. used the adhesive for it from hoome depot.. worked pretty well if you used a lot of it. real messy though.

bf1a24db.jpg

Bought a bench seat from a conversion van from the scrap yard for $38. Folds to a bed. Ugly color but whatever. Cleaned up nice.

a8b6859e.jpg

carpet back over the door panels, put the covers back on.

46eed167.jpg

bench seat mounted. tight fit but still comfortable for smaller ppl in the back.

1df66f40.jpg

had to cut the plastic piece from the step to make it fit, put piece of angled steel over it.. painted it w/ truck bed coating.. just to make it look nicer/hide the wood floor

a7cefd9f.jpg

also the bed DOES fold down if you move the seats all the way up. Its decently comfortable to lay on too surprisingly.

Carpet in the back, paint on the floor. Deck and Porch paint... like 5 coats of it. Looks good but already can see its going to show dirt/tire marks real easy.. may redo that eventually with another color.

b935ab53.jpg

Also not in that pic but I mounted a helmet rack I bought off pit posse on the back wall to hang 2 helmets from.. and also a hand cleaning station that holds the paper towel roll and windex and cans of stuff and all that...

goin to build the storage bench on the left. will not be very big but will be nice to store a little stuff in and to hide one of the wheel wells. the other wheel well i just painted the same as the floor to match.

put a strip of metal down for carpet on the back, and the stock plastic piece back on. had to cut the plastic piece to make it fit up against the wood. just looked cleaner having that metal on there.

b518aef4.jpg

And to finish it off, the flip out TV in the front, and the sub/amp under the bench seat and out of the way.

a420da9b.jpg

So far I'm really happy with it. Have not used it yet.. heck I don't even have plates for the van yet. Its been about a month and a half since I got it now and just been working on it a few hours here and there.

Tie down anchors, storage box, maybe a shelf/rod for hanging stuff and shell be done. I will be putting some wheels on it as soon as I find the right deal on them, and then it will be 100% complete.

Anyone have ideas on how to tie the bike down the best way would be appreciated. Right now I put it in w/ the wheel turned in the corner. A 2nd bike can go straight in on the left. It has about 2inches to spare with it straight in and like 6 inches to spare if you turn the wheel. Tight fit, but not a lot of room to work with.

Looks good so far, nice job,I would put a front wheel chock and maybe three flush mounts, two at front and one on the rear closest to the wall to keep rear of bike from skipping across the floor.

yeah that wheel chock will take up too much room lol.. every half an inch counts in the standard length.

a buddy of mine has one in the center, and one on the wall on the right. ties the foot peg to the floor and the frame to the wall and it works perfect. thinking of something like that except i cant really go to the wall, he didnt have his paneled and he actually welded a retractable ratchet strap to the wall. really nice but not possible for me.. but trying to think if something similar. the bike wouldnt really move that way.. which was surprinsg as I thought it would move around a bit still.

You can do the same thing as the risk racing setup for 10 times less. Put 2 eyebolts in the floor and use turnbuckles from the eyebolts to the footpads.

You can do the same thing as the risk racing setup for 10 times less. Put 2 eyebolts in the floor and use turnbuckles from the eyebolts to the footpads.

I was thinking the same thing. have you done this?

I was thinking the same thing. have you done this?

My old man did it, and if you make a box stand that is a couple inches shorter than usual you can slide it underneath the bike so that when you crank the turn buckles down the suspension will only squat a little bit.

thanks guys. yes you can fit bikes in straight, BARLEY, but you can. Togive a little more room its set up more so to turn the bars into the corner. That leaves a few inches to spare behind the rear tire. With the bikes straight, it hangs over the end of the floor about an inch from the rear door panel. I'll post pics with the bike and loaded up with gear when its done. Hoping to finish this weekend!

also the bed DOES fold down if you move the seats all the way up. Its decently comfortable to lay on too surprisingly.

Carpet in the back, paint on the floor. Deck and Porch paint... like 5 coats of it. Looks good but already can see its going to show dirt/tire marks real easy.. may redo that eventually with another color.

b935ab53.jpg

Also not in that pic but I mounted a helmet rack I bought off pit posse on the back wall to hang 2 helmets from.. and also a hand cleaning station that holds the paper towel roll and windex and cans of stuff and all that...

goin to build the storage bench on the left. will not be very big but will be nice to store a little stuff in and to hide one of the wheel wells. the other wheel well i just painted the same as the floor to match.

put a strip of metal down for carpet on the back, and the stock plastic piece back on. had to cut the plastic piece to make it fit up against the wood. just looked cleaner having that metal on there.

b518aef4.jpg

In the top pic you could get some of that shelving material that Lowes carrys (that shelving that is made like a cage and is white) and put it at the back wall and the get two of those hook hangers that holds a long pole .....the that way you could take some coat hangers and hang you up some pants and jerseys and chestprotector and use the top part of the shelf to strap your boots down on top of it.

Like I done in my trailer .....here is a pic with the shelfs and baskets in it.

DSC00904.jpg

I'm trying to find me a van so I can do the same as you. BTW what make and model is your van and how many miles is on it?