Sign in to follow this  

need help with cam timing/adjusting 2007 450 sxf

Can anyone help with some trouble shoting on my 2007 450 SXF? The bike was running great befor winter, it sat for a couple months then didn't want to start again. I've changed the battery, starter, cam chain tensioner, but the bike wont start without a perfect charge as well as it needs a jump from my truck. I was told to check the cam timing but not sure how...Any other ideas? Also, jumping the battery straight to the starter doesn't help. The valves dont appear to be stuck when I manually rotate the engine.

buy a manual. dont try and "learn" when you learn you can sometimes make mistakes....mistakes on a 4 stroke can cost BIG!!!!!! BUCKS!!! they can be bought off of line for 50 bucks, they will show you the right way to do everything...then if you have a friend you ride with that is fimular at working on dirt bikes see if you couldnt buy him a pizza and a few beers to come work on it for a couple hours. a night or two. Good luck...if I was you, Iwould take it to a dealer and have them go over it, see whats wrong with it, then bring it back homeand fix what they said.

I don't know a thing about the 450 SXF, but valve adjustment and cam timing do not change while sitting.

I would suspect fuel or electrical first.

If you are not confident of your knowledge/skills have a shop look it over.

Bruce

Sounds like a partially plugged pilot jet.

When the bike sits the fuel can "gum" up when it evaporates.