Sign in to follow this  

Rod in Tib Remove to ride again?

Three weeks ago I broke both the Tib and Fib and had a rod put into the Tib. My Dr. recommends taking the rod back out if I want to ride again. Dr. Mark, what do you typical recommend and what have other TT members done in the past?

I'm 46 years old, so I don't ride or heal like a 20 year old anymore.

f98d1452.jpg

b544280e.jpg

110612a0.jpg

Thanks

Edited by Wahoo214
spelling

My friend, a fellow TTer broke his tibia and foot last year while we were riding. He had a TI rod installed, and the doctor told him the same thing. That if you leave the rod in and you have a nasty spill you run the chance of the rod benting and that creates many complications. He still rode with the rod in but took it really easy. He just had his rod removed a couple weeks ago. His TT name is shelikesitdirty. I'm sure if you pm'd him, he could shed more light on his recovery, and what his doctor recommended to him. Hope you heal fast!

Good Luck:cripple:

My friend, a fellow TTer broke his tibia and foot last year while we were riding. He had a TI rod installed, and the doctor told him the same thing. That if you leave the rod in and you have a nasty spill you run the chance of the rod benting and that creates many complications. He still rode with the rod in but took it really easy. He just had his rod removed a couple weeks ago. His TT name is shelikesitdirty. I'm sure if you pm'd him, he could shed more light on his recovery, and what his doctor recommended to him. Hope you heal fast!

Good Luck:cripple:

Thanks, I would interested in knowing about the removal surgury and recovery.

I believe he left the rod in for close to a year. He's not a young'n either, and it took three months to heal to where is was 100% back to work. When he went in a couple weeks ago to have the rod removed, the doctor found that bone still hadn't healed completely but the doc removed the rod anyways. There was still a hair line crack in the bone, but the doc told him to just take it really easy. I believe he told me that the healing process after removing the rod is going to be about a month and a half. He works with me, and has been on light duty since. The rod removal took an hour or two, and he was released the same day. If you have some specific questions, I can ask him for you. He's working today.

If you're planning on breaking your leg again, you might want it removed first, but it seems like a competent surgeon can easily deal with bent or broken hardware.

I've been riding and racing with plate on one femur and another one on my collarbone for a few years now. I don't stress about it. I've considered having them removed, but not so I can break them again. Once they are removed, you've got to take it easy for a couple months to let the stress-risers where the screws were fill in and strengthen.

I've got a rod in my leg by dr. mark. I ride fine Dr. Mark has told me in my particular case (very similar fracture) I should get it out at some point but its ok to ride.

I had the rod put in my leg 10 years ago and have ridden with it every since. It does bother me when I run or when the weather is damp and cold, but other than that it has been fine to ride with.

I asked my doctor if I should ever have it removed, and he said it was up to me and if I did decide to have it removed, I would have to wait an additional 6-8 weeks to let the bone fill back in with marrow and regain its strength.

I know most all of the professional riders I know have always left the rod in.

Best wishes,

Jason

I know most all of the professional riders I know have always left the rod in.

Jason

That is interesting. Thank you.

My tib rod has been in for 9 yrs. Been racing/riding ever since.

I asked him about removing it, but he said it's stronger with it in.

He also said it's Stainless, not Ti. For some reason he laughed when

I asked if it was Ti...

mine is titanium, I broke it 2 years ago along with the fib and still have the same dilema too. I race MX and my doc said I should have it removed....but I still havent

The surgery to remove the rod is not real bad from what I remember. That being said I have two back in my leg now as I broke the tibfib/and femur twice:cry:

In my personal experience with all the plates, rods and screws I have in my body is: if they don't bother you, leave them in!

Wish you a speedy recovery,

Jason

Glad hear that I am not a complete fool for riding/racing with the metal:thumbsup: My rods have never given me any real problems. Now the Dr. sticking the last femural rod through my knee is another story.......

I also had a rod inserted after a tibia/fibula break in September of 2009.

I have been advised by both my local doctor and dr. Mark to leave it in if I have no problems with it.

I have ridden 2 seasons on it now and have had no problems. I went in and had one screw removed because it was in an unfortunate spot and giving me pain when kneeling, but it feels fine now.

Good luck.

P1010738.jpg

Had mine in for 4 years now with no issues. And the surgeon never mentioned removing it for racing.

In my personal experience with all the plates, rods and screws I have in my body is: if they don't bother you, leave them in!

Wish you a speedy recovery,

Jason

Thats what i think , i have rods and screws in my spine after an accident i had to have 3 virtibre fused together , after 10 years of road racing and mx with no problems .

I broke mine on 11-10 ths year. I am concerned about the not so perfect alignment of my bones. I just went to the doctor yesterday for my 7 week checkup, the first time in a month and she said it wasn't ready for any weight yet. She did transition me from the hardback spint to a boot, so I can get it wet.

The X rays look to me like its off my a few milli. I wonder it it will put more pressure on the left side of my knee. The doctor hasn't mentioned taking the rod out yet.

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

I broke mine on 11-10 ths year. I am concerned about the not so perfect alignment of my bones. I just went to the doctor yesterday for my 7 week checkup, the first time in a month and she said it wasn't ready for any weight yet. She did transition me from the hardback spint to a boot, so I can get it wet.

The X rays look to me like its off my a few milli. I wonder it it will put more pressure on the left side of my knee. The doctor hasn't mentioned taking the rod out yet.

http://www5.snapfish.com/snapfish/thumbnailshare/AlbumID=5350330028/a=4509751028_4509751028/otsc=SHR/otsi=SALBlink/COBRAND_NAME=snapfish/

COBRAND_NAME=snapfish

Although an X-ray showing both the knee and ankle on the same cassette is necessary to make a final judgement of alignmnent, I would be reluctant to accept that degree of malignment in a young active and athletic person.

It has been 10 weeks since I broke mine and it is coming along pretty good. At 9 weeks I went full weight bearing and am now walking without a cane. It still is sore and swells up but every week it improves a ton. Good luck to the rest of you recovering.

I still haven't decided to have the rod removed. I just don't want to go thru another surgery.