What do you do when you're crashing ?

When I first started riding years ago whenever I was crashing I wouldn't think... just tense up and let whatever happens... happen.

But as the years go on and the crashes get more common, the expert riders we're almost able to think calm during a crash ( in relative terms)

So my question is, if you're going off a jump and something happens and you're flying away from your bike... is it still best to tense up before the landing ? Or should you kind of mellow out and not tense up so much.

I only ask because we've all heard stories where drunk drivers get into these crazy car accidents and amazingly dont get hurt.... because they don't tense up.

Is there any truth to this ?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

99.9% of my crashes are too quick to do anything. usually dont even have time to realize im going down.

There is some truth to the stories you heard though. Im most cases if you are relaxed your body had a better chance of absorbing the impact opposed to fighting it, but i would not put to much belief in it.

Ive always been one to believe that there is an art to crashing. Reminds me of my skateboarding days when you have to know "how" to fall down.

I always try to take advantage of my protective gear when and if possible. But sometimes it seems there is just nothing you can do but look at the stars.:busted:

The only thing I think about is keeping my hands and head from landing first... cant afford two broken wrists which is pretty much guarenteed to happen. Usually if Im worrying about that the rest omy body stays limp. No really serious injuries yet. Might no be the best way, but it works for me.

I only ask because we've all heard stories where drunk drivers get into these crazy car accidents and amazingly dont get hurt.... because they don't tense up.

Is there any truth to this ?

Simple answer: Make sure to drink and ride!! :busted:

Joking aside, I try to get away from the bike when falling, usually by tucking and rolling. I've seen guys get hurt worse by the bike flipping on them, broken wrists from the bars and bb's, and legs snapping from being twisted under the bike. I try to stay clear if possible. There is usually a certain amount of flailing about, screaming, and using choice words before and after though! :busted:

To me I don't have time to think about it. Even when I make a big mistake, I don't panic and I don't think about crashing until I actually hit the ground. It's like my brain is just thinking "No biggie, I got this" ... then BAM "What happened?" :busted: