Sign in to follow this  

Vapor indicator lights died...

I've been running the TrailTech Vapor for 3-4 years now and this summer both shift/temp indicator lights simply quit. Otherwise, the temps and rpms are registering fine. I thought I could keep an eye on things but it turns out I really need those little lights. Several times I looked down to find my engine temp hotter than I preferred.

Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions? Call TrailTech? Obviously the unit is way out of warranty.

Id call trailtech for sure, i remember when i had my vapor, those lights were very useful, i would definately want them to work.

By all means call Trail Tech..

As it's no longer under warranty, thinking they are not obligated to do anything, but am interested in what they offer for service, replacement (at a price, nothing is free).

I just bought a Trail Tech Striker, for my SM build…. What can I say, they make nice lights and computers.. no doubt about it.

get in touch with trailtech. My speedo kept going off but everything else was working fine. The sent me a new sensor straight out, unit was less than a year old though.

my vapor was acting kind of buggy as well.... sometimes the gauges would register and then all of a sudden fade to a blank screen.... i've had mine for about 3-4 years as well...

i thought maybe some water had made its way inside so i took the casing apart and cleaned it, then replaced the battery.... it has worked trouble free since then, and that's been about 5 months now

For you guys that maybe are as dumb as me...

Nothing was wrong with the Vapor. It had simply somehow "lost" the settings for both temp and rpm. I don't have a clue how. The tech help at Trail Tech was very helpful, but completely stumped as to how it could lose the indicator lights and still have the backlight working (same circuit he/she said). They were looking for a 'real' problem. When I went to reset the time last night I noticed that both the temp and rpm settings were zero. I set them but didn't crank the engine as I'd just changed the CSS and red loctited it. After today's communication from TT it occurred to me to ask if the Vapor might have lost its settings. TT responded that if the internal battery had died the settings would go to zero. My battery seems to be fine but somehow I managed to lose the settings. Never dawned on me that it was this simple.

Anyway, like I said, if you're as dumb as I apparently am then maybe this'll save you some time at some point.

Did you replace the battery, maybe it's weak and lost warning lamp memory.