Sign in to follow this  

Rear brake while standing

I've worked this year on standing more and have got my bike setup to be more condusive to that. I've put on different bars, bar risers and changed control positions. All is helping but I still am not comfortable on the rear brake while standing. I love my rear brake and am very comfortable turning with it, dragging when needed etc but while sitting. When I'm standing I just cant get it right, I tend to be too heavy on it. Did the NCHSA Denver Hare Scramble yesterday. Great course and had a ball! I just need to stand more but when I'm in a position that I need the rear brake I'm not comfortable standing.......Help!

If youre not comfortable taping rear brake while standing, try motor braking, shifting down, that way you also dont drag your wheel causing premature tire wear

If not you can also sit right up on the tank just to tap your brakes quickly and get up again off the corner..

just do what you feel the most comfortable on

:busted:

Practice, lots of it. Like everything else (clutch finess, throttle control, etc), it ultimately comes down to muscle memory. I find it best to practice going really slow in a parking lot or flat yard. The more you do it the more natural it will become.

Another tip I can offer is to slide your foot forward more when standing, so that front of your heel rests on the peg. I find that this makes it easier to pivot my foot to modulate the rear brake.

I almost exclusively stand while riding , and what i found was lowering the pedal , and/or adjusting the slack(KTM allows you to adjust the slack in the pedal as well as the height , but i ride Honda's) , but i found that having the pedal slightly lower helped with the sensitivity issue so i was not locking the brake up , as i mainly use my rear brake on the MX track as well as trail riding , so it was critical for me to not constantly lock up the rear tire , it took a little getting used to the lower pedal as i would sometimes think i had no brake because i had to tip my foot a little farther down (not really that much father , just enough so your boot is not touching it while riding) , but after a few rides it became second nature and now i only have issues locking up everyone else's bikes because their pedal is higher

One of the best tips I've read on here was Dwight Rudder's advice to run a stiffer return spring on the rear brake. I have excellent control now sitting or standing, I can lock it up when I want to but it is very easy to modulate. I run my brake pedal level with the peg.

Nothing new from me, just echoing others, I've spent this year getting familiar with standing in all situations (accel, decel, going up, down, turns) - came from the road.

Stiffer springs, pedal level to peg, and practice focused always on one thing at a time - like slaloming a cone course standing and rear braking.

You will get there!

Practice. Lower the pedal a bit. Move foot forward a bit. Organic pads instead of semi-metallic. learn the feel of lock vs. careful modulation - best on flat ground with not obstacles. come up with some braking drills and do them every time you ride. You have to be balanced standing to be able to apply the rear brake the way you want - so work on doing balanced stands on your bike.