Sign in to follow this  

want to set up for dirt from sm..need wheels n tires

Looking for a deal and some nobbies and dirt wheels for my z

What else needs to change for the sset up? Kick stand, sprockets...

Check classifieds, I think Eddie just put a set up for sale. If those aren't ones u want, keep checking and check eBay as well.

I did opposite, I went dirt to sumo but have both wheels. Direct switch, didn't need anything unless you wanna change the gearing.

The only thing you might need is a caliper relocation bracket but I don't think you do. I'm sire some one will get you a definite answer with that part but good luck and enjoy

I bought a set of DRZ400S wheels (with SM rotors) and it is direct bolt on (SM spacers work). If you go aftermarket you will need speedo gear eliminator.

Started out with the gearing being 15/44 (stock S hearing) and found that too high for the woods (first, second, third only). Went to 14/44 and tried that, but still find it a bit high (rarely get into fourth in the woods), so I am going to order the 47 rear sprocket to make it stock DRZ400 gearing.

My SM speedo works, but can't tell how far off I am.

One thing that you don't think of is how much higher the bike sits with the S (21/18) wheels on there.

i just did this myself last week

0MxKb.jpg

all you need is some wheels off an "S" or "E" model. mine are off an S. then you just need the SM front brake rotor, its bigger then the S and E models. if you cant find one then you could take the one off your SM wheels. if you want your speedo to be accurate then you need one off the S aswell. but i dont think a speedo is all that important for riding in the woods, so you can leave your SM one on there.

im not sure if you need a new chain for the stock S sproket, mine came with an aftermarket 49t so i needed a new chain.

the bike does sit higher then normal, so it does lean over quite a bit with the SM kickstand, but just be smart about it and i dont think it will go over

Looking for a deal and some nobbies and dirt wheels for my z

What else needs to change for the sset up? Kick stand, sprockets...

I recently traded a guy his SM wheels for my S wheels. He came by with his new SM and we switched them in the garage. The rotors need to be swapped as SM rotors are larger than S rotors. The speedo gear also needs to swapped if ya want the speedo to be right. The kick stand will work but the swap is a good thing. The 15/41 sprockets on the SM is really high for dirt work but will fit ok. I would go to at least 15/47 for much dirt. 14/47 is stock E and really not too low if ya ain't cruising the freeways. Good luck. I'm also looking for some really cheap dirt wheels.

why is it suggested to get another set of sm rotors?

the oem price is almost $500 for front and back, could i not just use the ones from my sm wheels and switch them wen i switch the wheels?