04' 450 exc pipe advice

If you want a credible answer, you need to be way more specific on what you want to accomplish. It is hard to beat the stocker for all around performance, sound and durability. If you are just looking for power, a cam is probably a better bang for the buck.

Well, what would you like over the stock pipe?

You mentioned the PC set up, their stuff is pretty decent for race use, but they have never really gotten on top of the sound, so even their quietest is fairly loud.

FMF and Dr D systems probably have much more R&D behind them, particularly for KTM applications. Both have header systems that help keep noise down. With FMF you can match it to something quiet like the Q4, or one of the other race mufflers that are louder but put out a bit more power.

ok Chilly, didn't know there were so many specifics involved in getting opinions on a pipe. Hell, if I was racing mx, I wouldn't be on a damn exc to start with. That leaves trails and enduros.......hmmmm

It really is pretty application specific...:bonk:

...on the 400/450 there is a "torque pipe" for bottom end and the power now carb vanes also help with bottom end.

...top end power u'll want a larger free flowing pipe.

...if you just want more bark(deep thumper sound) keep the stock pipe and add any of the race cans with removable sparky.

The reality other than the torque pipe ur really not going to effect the power much...the stocker is a good pipe. :busted:

:busted:

Also Kenzo, for low end, what can would you recommend? I want it to bellow like hell. I climb hills and ride tights, so i don't ride high speed. Thanks in advance.

the can doesn't really effect the bottom torque much, primarily sound...more the headpipe diameter and lengths(torque pipe)...or power now vanes...maybe a cam.

:busted:

As Kenzo is saying. The muffler has little effect on power. IMO It will only give the illusion of more power with more sound.

The stock muffler on a KTM is a performance item that produces an acceptable noise level. The only good reason to change the stock muffler is if you wanted to install a quieter muffler which may hurt performance a little.

On a KTM your money is better spent somewhere else for performance. Big bore kit, carb. boring and jetting, head and cam work.

You can move the power in the RPM range with different headers. Like the HT Racing Torque header. Most after market headers are going to move the power lower in the RPM range which is what you want for hill climbing and woods riding. Its not the best bang for the buck but it does make a difference. A good reason would be if your stock header gets damaged and need a replacement.