Sign in to follow this  

2009 Ktm 450 xcf idle adjustment

I'm trying to adjust the idle using instructions from the owners manual, pg 64. I follow the logic and instructions minus one part. First we screw in the idle adjusting screw until it stops and then back it out 1.5turns. I get that. Now warm up the bike. Next it says to adjust the idle speed with the Adjustment screw (different one, this is referring to the knurled handle screw), until you get to 1600-1650 rpm. That is where I'm stuck, how do I know when I've reached that rpm? I can't continue with the remainder of the process until I've achieved that rpm.

Btw, the whole reason I'm working on this is to try to help remedy the stalling problem in tight sections, I've read increasing the idle speed can help. Thanks...

I think the first adjustment you are refering to is the idle mixture screw.

There is a bounty of info here on how to adjust this circut. As for the idle adjustment, with out a tac. you will need to play with it and ride and see how the bike runs. If it is pushing you in the slow stuff at idle then you are to idleing to high. If is stalls regularly then it is to low. Keep messing with it and you will find the sweet spot.

Cheers

I'm trying to adjust the idle using instructions from the owners manual, pg 64. I follow the logic and instructions minus one part. First we screw in the idle adjusting screw until it stops and then back it out 1.5turns. I get that. Now warm up the bike. Next it says to adjust the idle speed with the Adjustment screw (different one, this is referring to the knurled handle screw), until you get to 1600-1650 rpm. That is where I'm stuck, how do I know when I've reached that rpm? I can't continue with the remainder of the process until I've achieved that rpm.

Btw, the whole reason I'm working on this is to try to help remedy the stalling problem in tight sections, I've read increasing the idle speed can help. Thanks...

You need to buy a tachometer to measure the rpm. I've never used one and relied on my judgement to set the idle. You can hear when its too high and the bike runs poorly when its too low.

as far as stalling in the tight stuff, I did two things on my 08 450xcf. First, I changed the gearing. The stock gearing is too tall and it caused me to stall a lot. I went from 14/53 to 13/52 gearing. The front sprocket was cheap and easy to change out. that almost immediately helped with the stalling.

couple things, some already stated, get an HR meter, they are cheap and typically have an RPM indicator, second change the gearing to the 13/52 as already suggested, third, I would probably put the RPM's more like 1700-1800. Lastly if you want to make this one wicked woods weapon then put a Rekluse on it, any model and used is fine also. My XCF went from a great bike to a wicked nasty woods weapon with the rekluse.

I might also suggest an adjustable leak jet. R&D and others are out there.