Sign in to follow this  

forks fade?

I just did a hare scramble on my 60 hours 2011 ktm 200 xcw, and by the 2nd lap the suspension was beating me up. I'm thinking its the beat up track (clay). But I was curious if the suspension ever fades. Never replaced the oil yet.

When the forks and shock get hot, the characteristics of the dampening do change. This is why the bladders in the forks are filled with nitrogen and not compressed air, to insure they don't vary too much. But they do still vary, especially with bad oil. If you change the oil, you will see a difference right off the bat. Most people don't realize that oil should be changed every 20 - 40 and that 40 hr mark is actually quite high. Most racers change oil every 5 hours!

I ride in the desert on a ktm450xcf with the closed chamber forks. When I come in to refuel between laps, I always have to remember to bleed the air off of those forks. They always feel a little bit stiffer as the race goes on.

I just did a hare scramble on my 60 hours 2011 ktm 200 xcw, and by the 2nd lap the suspension was beating me up. I'm thinking its the beat up track (clay). But I was curious if the suspension ever fades. Never replaced the oil yet.

Two things cause fad.

The first is the heating of the fluid which makes it thinner.

The second thing is cavitation and agitation, which means less conversion at the valve body.

All forks (and I mean ALL forks) suffer from both problems...in a big way.

CLOVER or DELTA shims will help, and on open bath forks, a back-fill or vent valve helps.

Lastly, REALLY good fluid can help as well. Or at least, frequent changes of a lower quality fluid.

:busted: