3 bike trailer on a 4x6 platform

I will be towing a DR650, a DR350 and a EXCR450. I want to buy a real small trailer - like a 4x6. Although I am well within the weight rating, I am more concerned about the width. I will weld up some wheel chocks, and have the bikes staggered - with the middle bike moved up towards the front. Will 48" wide be too narrow for 3 dirt bikes?

For those that have 3 bike trailers - how wide is yours between the wheels?

thanks

Will 48" wide be too narrow for 3 dirt bikes?

For those that have 3 bike trailers - how wide is yours between the wheels?

Yes & no. My 5'X9' trailer is set up to fit 3 full size MX bikes (250/450's etc...) (I havn't mounted the center wheel chock yet.)

The outer wheel chocks are spaced 38-1/4" center to center. I measured it out to fit the third bike in the middle facing forward, but staggered to the rear of the outer bikes. The problem with only being 48" wide is going to be the outer tie-down points being too close-in. And possibly the length at only 6'. More likely you'll have to put the center bike facing backwards to fit them into a 6' length.

Just line em' up in the garage and start measuring.

Diamond-Plate is 5'x9' Outer tie-downs spaced 80" apart

<TTR125 - YZ250>

DSC02941-1.jpg

I have a 4x8 trailer and can fit three 450s no problem. However, I do have to put the middle bike on backwards in order to do so, otherwise the handlebars make it impossible.

I also fabricated some extensions to the front of the trailer that allow the tie-down points to be extended by 8 inches on each side when carrying 3 bikes.

So to answer your question, the width shouldn't be an issue if you're willing to do a little fabricating, but the 6 foot length is likely to pose the problem.

• 1 month later...

Had this thread in mind after I set this up, but took me a while to find it again. I think 3 bikes on a 4x6 is going to be pushing it, unless they are small bikes. Here's my daughter's TTR125 (middle), my wife's XT250 (right) and my YZ400F. Took a little planning to get all three in, and this is a 5x8:

d3bfbd94.jpg

From the rear:

95deb8f7.jpg

There's only inches to spare. The trick was putting the TTR in the middle - the bars of the other bikes simply wouldn't fit over my YZ if it was in the middle.

..a

If you can put two bikes on side by side with the bars touching, you should be able to sneak a 3rd bike up the middle. Run the front tire right up tongue of the trailer just enough so that the bars of the other two bikes are over the seat of the middle. Like this:

http://www.powersportsnetwork.com/enthusiasts/pre_owned_detail.asp?PreOwnedVehicleCode=1902929

one other question......why not just widen the trailer by 6in on either side? That will give you more bar room and you wont upset the center of gravity of the trailer. If you can't afford a bigger trailer, than this might be a good alternative. I've done it to several of my trailers with no ill effects if balanced correctly.

• 2 weeks later...

Similar situation...4x8 folding trailer. Seems like I need tie-down points about a foot (saw 8" above) wider on each side up front to make two forward facing bikes really secure.

Would a square tube or angle iron bolted to the front of the trailer work? How big/thick would it need be to hold up?

A good thing to do concerning how to lay out the tie down points/wheel chock layout, might be to get some measurements off of 2 or 3 rail trailer that is pre-made to haul motorcycles. Typically I believe there are tie down rails that actually extend out low, past the sides of the trailer in the front, to allow the proper strap angle from the outside handlebar to the tie down point on the trailer.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 5x10. The area where the 3 bikes are is a 5x8 and I can very easily fit 3 bikes. The in front of the 3 I put one bike sideways in the last 2'. It has it's own stow away ramp. I have lot's of pictures I could add to this if anyone wants to see it unloaded. This is the only one I have in photobucket at the moment.

Also if we bring one of the boys friends bikes along we alter the bikes front to back and use the tailgate as a chock and I can get 4 full size bikes (5 with the one on the front) on with out any plastic touching. I love it.DSCN4363.jpg

Had this thread in mind after I set this up, but took me a while to find it again. I think 3 bikes on a 4x6 is going to be pushing it, unless they are small bikes. Here's my daughter's TTR125 (middle), my wife's XT250 (right) and my YZ400F. Took a little planning to get all three in, and this is a 5x8:

d3bfbd94.jpg

From the rear:

95deb8f7.jpg

There's only inches to spare. The trick was putting the TTR in the middle - the bars of the other bikes simply wouldn't fit over my YZ if it was in the middle.

..a

Love your set up. It is very similar to mine but if you put wood down the sides I think you will find you have a lot more room. Once I did this I was able to move the outside bikes very close to the rail. When I tie them down the foot peg goes under the bar and the rear axle nut pulls tight to the wood. We then tie the back tire over so it can not move/bounce. There is no harm to the bikes and it really opened up the space just by moving them out 6-8" which the wood sides allowed me to do.