Sand dunes Flag whips - mounting options

What's the most common method for mounting a whip on a KTM? I'm not a big fan of drilling a hole in my fender if I could avoid it. There is an area here the NW (Juniper) that requires them for motorcycles. I'd tape something to my helmet or zip-tie something to my backpack if I new I could get away with it. The Japanese bikes have the seat bolts on the side which makes the job a bit easier.

Just looking for creative options.

Thanks.

I bought a small angle bracket from the dealer near the sand dunes this past summer. Fits under the rear axle nut. I'm going to modify it as it had a tendancy to let the flag swing backward to the ground a few times.

Get a piece of metal and take your exhaust off drill the holes, and then bend it so where your flag goes in itll be flat, Ill dig through and find mine from when i went to the dunes.

what i have always done is just go buy a piece of 1'' steel about 1/8'' thick and on lots of bikes it is very easy to use the silencer bolts to mount it on then when you are coming out the back buy the rear fender mark the steel put it in a vise take a cresent wrench and twist it so you have a flat spot to mount flag. You will also have to bend it a bit to clear rear frender. Very simple on a 2t more room than a 4t but can be done. Alot nicer than a flag on the swingarm bolt.

What's the most common method for mounting a whip on a KTM? I'm not a big fan of drilling a hole in my fender if I could avoid it. There is an area here the NW (Juniper) that requires them for motorcycles. I'd tape something to my helmet or zip-tie something to my backpack if I new I could get away with it. The Japanese bikes have the seat bolts on the side which makes the job a bit easier.

Just looking for creative options.

Thanks.

Juniper requires it to be on the bike? You can't have it on your back pack so it sticks up? Isn't the point of a flag to let others know where "you" are? There is a company in Utah that sells flags that mount to your helmet. As a matter of fact I have three of them. It has a small plastic bracket that mounts to the back of your helmet by 3m and then a two foot flag goes into that bracket.

Juniper requires it to be on the bike? You can't have it on your back pack so it sticks up? Isn't the point of a flag to let others know where "you" are? There is a company in Utah that sells flags that mount to your helmet. As a matter of fact I have three of them. It has a small plastic bracket that mounts to the back of your helmet by 3m and then a two foot flag goes into that bracket.

I've yet to get a definitive answer on whether mounting a flag on the backpack or the helmet is "OK" with the authorities here in WA state. Like you said, as long as someone can SEE the dang thing that's what should matter. Often times it seems many of them around here are just looking for an excuse to write tickets.

Thanks for the input everyone!

I dont like the axel mount as they sometimes get eaten by the rear tire. I chose the hole in the rear fender method. Several friends have put them in their backpacks after the rear tire broke the flag. We have not gotten in trouble for that. I think their is some law about the flag being six feet long. Not sure if that means off the ground or what. I have yet to have problems at Juni.

I know a couple of guys that were over at Juniper a couple of weekends ago and they had their flags strapped to their back packs. A sheriff even talked to them, looked at them and let them be on their way. They just took a normal size bike flag pole, cut it in half, and strapped them to their packs. Looked kinda goofy, but worked.

I ride Juniper regularly with the flag in my back pack. I found the key at Juniper is when I see a quad/truck I change directions. Have passed the sheriff many times, I just wave and continue on.

I ride Juniper all the time. Our riders always run 4' flags (cheap ones chopped in half) with a ball of duct tape on the end and shoved in a backpack and have never been hassled. I never found a mount that would work on a KTM unless it tied into the muffler mounts.

Nevermind...you gotta drill through the fender...maybe just buy a used rear fender off ebay to drill through and use just for dune riding?

I zip tie mine to my chest protector. I've tried shoving it in my back pack but it always slaps me in the back of the head all day long. When it's on my chest protector I never notice it.

I've never had any issues with the law. If you google Juniper Dunes you can find info on the flag laws. They don't care where you mount it, but their is a hight and flag size requirement (6"x12" flag) (6' mast). Here's a link. Hopefully it works. http://easternwashingtonadventures.com/Public_Land/Juniper-Dunes.html