Sign in to follow this  

150xc or not?

ok guys i need your help hear im buying a new bike this winter and want som opions on ktms 150 xc

im not a pro rider by any means but iv been doing a local series this summer and i plan on doing all 15 of its races next summer so what i got is a 02 yz 250

i love the bike but its getting old and i want a up grade i love the bikes lowend power and the fact i can lug the heck outta it and it just keeps going but sometimes it just seems to over power me and my abillty i never really notis it trail rideing but raceing it tends to get me in some troubble but when i ride my bros 125 i love it i like the weight saveings the most i can really throgh that bike around i just wish it had a touch more lowend power for the real tricky stuff the series is half moto half open woods mud sand rocks big hillsn logs its got it all what do u guys think pros n cons i want to hear it all

im 5'11 175lbs mid pack b 250 rider

thanks for ur help

My thought is you're going to be happier with a 200. It's only a few pounds heavier and the difference between the 150 and a 200 in low end power is appreciable, particularly a pre-08 model. I'm guessing you will be happier particularly coming off your yz250.

Find a pre-'08 200 and you'll be happiest (assuming you want as good of power as you can have with a 200). I rode an '11 200 and I was a bit disappointed with power, felt like my old KDX220 . . . come to find out it had a carb like a KDX (and since have heard that the pipes may also be partly responsible).

Here's the reason behind my comments. I ride/race an RM250 so I know where you're at on power delivery. My son has an '02 200exc so I have a good sense of what it feels like. I've ridden an '11 150xc. The 150xc is a very light, fun bike, has much more torque than a 125 but that torque - that lugging you like about your YZ250 - won't touch an earlier model 200. At higher RPMS the 150 and 200 do seem more similar.

This all, of course, is mostly my opinion, but physics backs me up a little . . . obviously the 200 has a larger displacement.

Your best bet is to test ride both, just keep in mind that if you test ride a new 200 it's a little mellower than the older ones.