Sign in to follow this  

bike only runs when kill switch is pressed

not sure what happened?

is the kill switch a normally opened or normally closed switch?

was trying to start the bike forever then for some crazy reason though maybe the kill switch is stuck so I pressed it and sure enough the bike fires right up, as soon as i release it, it dies.

i did a quick resistance check looking into the kill switch and its open, when i press the switch i get continuity. when i check down the harness to make sure nothing is shorted its open and isolated.

*** happened? is there something else thats possibly shorted that could be causing this? should I just get a new kill switch? :busted:

any help would be appreciated?

thanks

james

Just reverse the wires so in is now on and out is off

thought about that, but don't want to cut into the harness, not sure what will happen with the ground loops if i swap the wires as well? thats always an option, but first i'd like to know if its just a bad switch. do you know if its a normally open or normally closed switch? that would explain a lot?

thanks

I suspect there is something you are not telling us. Is this an E model? If so, yes the kill switch is normal open. Did you perhaps replace the E CDI with an S/SM CDI. If so, that DCI will only make sparks with the kill switch closed.

If it is an S/SM model then the kill switch is not a kill switch. It is a "disconnect the power switch" and is normal closed. No, don't swap any wires. Find the problem and fix it right.

theres a lot to the story, but yes you are right, i did change cdis and of course i was told you could swap them with no prob which clearly isn't the case so i got bad info. i swapped back in the old cdi and all is well.

thanks for the response, i apprecaite the help.:busted:

jp - The S/SM CDI will work on the E model. It just requires a modification to the wiring. The E kill wire normal open is the same terminal on the S CDI that interfaces with the sidestand interlock. As long as that wire is grounded, the S/SM CDI box will work.