Sign in to follow this  

save weight battery

Hey guys,

I found some lithium -ion battery on the net but would like to have some feedback before spending $$$$$...

Want to save weight but need to be reliable too...

Thank you

I put the "Full spectrum P1" batter in my 350 and works like a charm. I believe it saved over 2 lbs and it fits perfectly into your stock battery box. So far not a single issue

Me too:

I put the FULL SPECTRUM PULSE P1 Battery on my SX-F 350: a full 1010g lighter than the stock one.Beeing a weight-weenie mountainbiker i have accurate scales on hand I choose this one as it comes with a case and fits the stock battery holder just fine.No need to put additional zip-ties or rubber/foam. It installs in 2 minutes and saves precious weight high up on the bike. I also try to run the bike with as low fuel in the tank as possible. It is pretty hard to see the fuel level in that black plastic tank though but saving weight seems pretty important to me to get the most out of this bike.

So far i can't detect any difference in performance of the battery. We will see once temperatures start to drop really low but usually when it's that cold i don't ride it no more anyway.Getting older and not racing any championships the "must ride" factor is gone :busted:

Edited by nino

Most folks running Li batteries here use either TurnTech or Shorai. These batteries, especially the TurnTech, have proven to be very reliable and long-lasting.

I looked in to these batteries too for my 450 xc w. End result, I dieted and lost 5 lbs. Now I'm 180lbs. Put a replacement stock battery in. Saved the money and now feel stronger and a bit healthier. Can throw the bike around just fine. :busted:

I depends on what bike you got. If you got a bike with a kick starter, then get a less expensive, but still high quality battery

If you have no kickstarter (like me) and a rekluse to boot (like me) then you will absolutely need to additional cranking power from the lithium. Its what I use. If you bike won't start with a lithium battery, then you have other problems.

I bought the Shorai. Saved the day after a dunk in the drink with the KLX, that I've since sold. Kept the Shorai tho. It's in my new WRR. I paid aprox $129. I wouldn't sell mine for that, especially if I had to go back to lead.

I've recently put a Shorai in my Super Duke. $199. That thing needs all the juice it can get. Works like it was made for that bike. 6 pounds lighter than the stock Yasua.

Until something better comes along, I'm buying nothing but Shorais.

honestly can you even tell a difference when riding the bike? my guess would be no?? i guess the best place to save weight is up top like that but still i cant imagine it being worth a $200 battery.

if it is though id be all about it.

If you can figure out how to run a Super Duke without a battery, you've figured out how to save $200, but bikes take batteries, so it down to the $125 lead Yasua, or the $199 lithium ion Shorai. You pay $75 extra for the Shorai. As far as wallyworld batteries, don't even get me started....

Super Duke takes a realativly big, heavy, (for a street bike), battery. That bike makes a lot of torque, and it takes a lot of torque to get it started. An 8.2 pound leadYasua put out 14A. The 2.2 pound Shorai does 18A.

You get what you pay for. For an extra $75, I got more cranking power, and lost 6 pounds down low, just behind the front tire, which is where the battery on a Super Duke is. Put a 6 pound lead weight on the front of your bike and tell me you can't tell the difference.

First class is never a mistake.

honestly can you even tell a difference when riding the bike? my guess would be no?? i guess the best place to save weight is up top like that but still i cant imagine it being worth a $200 battery.

if it is though id be all about it.

I wouldn't buy the lithium battery because of the weight savings. I'd buy it because of the cranking power. Its so much better than lead that you'd hardly believe it.

WHen your battery goes, your next one should be lithium