Sign in to follow this  

drained double the amount of oil that its suposed to take, damage?

i just bought a 07 yz250f the thing is in great shape, like new, the paint is not even wore off the clutch cover, i just changed the oil and the guy had over double what supposed to be in there, there was 82 OUNCES OF OIL THAT CAME OUT, i measured it before i put it in the 6 gall bucket that all out old oil goes into, that is about quarts, me and my dad measured it. i replaced the filter and put in 42 ounces back in, any ways, do you think theres any damage, if so what, any thing serious

bike has less than 8 hours on it, and no none of those hours were racing, the oil looked dirty, whats seals, its not leaking anything on the out side i know that?

If the frame tank held all of the extra oil, then it should not be hurt. Its a dry sump design, so the holding tank holds your oil. If some of the oil was in the base, and it was not run hard, then it still should not be hurt.

What I would do is check it after warm up for leaks, then if none, run it for 15 min and check again. Then I'd keep a watch on it for the next few hours. If it doesn't leak in the next 5 hours with the proper level in it, you're off the hook. Ride it like you stole it.

Edited by ronbuell

Hi Flo, K&N, Fram, a stainless Scotts etc will all pretty much do the trick if you change the oil often.

Don't think using a more expensive filter will allow for longer change intervals, that just isn't the case.

HF140 :busted:

I get em local for $4.95 each

I had the same issue with my 07. I was amazed by the amount of oil that kept comming out of it one day. I completely drained it once and started from base. now i measure what gets drained out and only change that amount but do oil changes 2x's as much.