Sign in to follow this  

2002 KX65 suspension- is this right?

I've read a bunch of threds on here that indicate that 2003 and newer kx65's have adjustable suspension (clickers) and prior to that, they did not. I just picked up a used 2002 kx65 for my son (coming off a crf 50) and the suspension is adjustable (3 clicks front and rear). Is this right? Did 02 have some with ajustability and some without?... or was the info I read incorrect?

Also, anyone know what the sag should be?

Thanks guys..

No.... They all had adjustable suspension in 2002. The people who posted that they didn't are incorrect. --L*64

To my knowledge, the change is 2002 onward, 2000 and 2001 had different linkage and shorter forks, but I'm pretty sure the shock from the factory is the same on all the KX65s. In fact, other than fork tubes and the dog bones, there really haven't been any major changes.

Sag 70mm

rear shock screw 1-2 clicks out

forks 2 clicks out

forks 10 mm above the triple clamps

These are the official team green settings. You will likely have to do some testing from there.

Good info. Thanks. What weight oil shoudl I use in this thing? I think it calls for 8wt, but I don't usually see that in the shops... come to think of it, I may have some 7.5wt hidden away somewhere. would 10wt make it to "muddy"?

.... The boy picked up the clutch day 1, but is very apprehensive to get on and stay on the pipe. Is it too soon to teach him to fan the clutch to pick up the rpm's coming out of turns.. I try to explain it making bike noises.. "son, when the bike goes bwwaaaa, feather the clutch a little to make is go braaaap".... Son- "what feather on the clutch"?... 1 step back to take 2 steps forward.

10 wt works fine

I would let him have more seat time so he feels how the powerband pulls, and then cover it again when he is really getting on the pipe alot. Maybe work on body position in the corners first.

my son's 02' has clickers,all I did was set them in the middle. think I am going to try the settings above and see if he notices...

what I did with my son teaching him shifting/clutch was I jumped on and had him sit on my lap and I rode him around on it for a few and while riding I told him to "make it sound like this" or "watch my hands and listen to the bike", then I let him ride it and he started getting it then I rode him around another time and since then he has really started to get the hang of it. today was his 5th day of riding this bike and he was ripping through the gears on this little track next to camp, power shifting and keeping the rpms in the powerband. kids pick up on things pretty fast!