Sign in to follow this  

Dirtbike carriers?

Hey has anyone used the carries that hold two bikes on the hitch? I'm thinking about picking one up for my YZ250 and son's Kx65. Are these suckers sturdy enough? I've seen the ones from DISCOUNTRAMPS but I'm not sure if someone else makes or sells them? Any help would be great.

What are you using to haul the bikes with? If your not hauling with a pickup truck I'd reconsider. These things stick out pretty far and that is a substantial amount of weight. My friend has the single version of it and it's great. Very well build and sturdy. The anti wobble device is very nice also. We've used it with an astro van and a honda pilot, the carrier will occasionally drag. I would never even try the dual bike carrier with either vehicle. If you don't have a true suv/truck, and have a crossover like the pilot, I wouldn't get it. Look at the reviews on amazon.com is this the one your looking at?

http://www.amazon.com/AMC-600-2-Double-Motorcycle-Mounted-Carrier/dp/B000LUXYZW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1320727917&sr=8-8

What are you using to haul the bikes with? If your not hauling with a pickup truck I'd reconsider. These things stick out pretty far and that is a substantial amount of weight. My friend has the single version of it and it's great. Very well build and sturdy. The anti wobble device is very nice also. We've used it with an astro van and a honda pilot, the carrier will occasionally drag. I would never even try the dual bike carrier with either vehicle. If you don't have a true suv/truck, and have a crossover like the pilot, I wouldn't get it. Look at the reviews on amazon.com is this the one your looking at?

http://www.amazon.com/AMC-600-2-Double-Motorcycle-Mounted-Carrier/dp/B000LUXYZW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1320727917&sr=8-8

I would have to agree that the vehicle that its used with is very important. There is a lot of weight hanging off the hitch, and anything less then a 1/2 ton truck or SUV with a class III or better hitch will not be up to the task with two bikes. I occasionaly ride with my neighbor and he uses the same carrier, or at least a very similar one with no complaints. We used it with his CRF 250X and my WR 426 on the back of his 2011 Toyota Tundra. We put the heavy WR on the inside and the lighter X on the outside. To my surprise the truck didn't squat nearly as much as I thought it would and it drove just fine. There was a little movement of the bikes but nothing to worry about as long as they are secured properly.

For some people they are the way to go, it just depends on your needs. I prefer to load them in the bed of my truck, but i wouldn't hesitate to recommend one to someone who is considering one. If you are using one with two bikes just make sure to load the heavier one on the inside and you will be good to go. Just watch out for steep driveways!!

I have one from Discount Ramps and have been using it for a couple of years now. I originally thought I would have it just until I found a good deal on a trailer but once I started using it I never really worried about the trailer. My only complaint is that I have to either put my fuel can in the truck or strap it to the back, which is what I usually do.

My Suburban hauls the bikes (my CR250 and my son's RM65) just fine. The Suburban handles well and doesn't squat nearly as much as you would think but you do notice some additional wind drag and buffeting with a strong cross wind. Probably not much different than a trailer.

Like everyone else mentioned you really need a full size truck thats not to low to the ground with a sturdy hitch. I've never had a problem driving but going in and out of driveways it will scrape if the elevation change is steep enough.

Sweet, Thanks for the updates. I'll I have a 1/2 ton silverado I'll be putting it on. My wife's YFZ 450 will be in the bed of the truck and it's to much of a hassle to attempt to stand it up if its only us going riding. So the carrier sounds like a good plan if I dont plan on buying a trailer.

do a search in the forum. There are probably 100 threads that have discussed all different types and brands in great detail. search for hitch carriers

A full size bike and a 65 you'd be all right on the Silverado, much more of a second bike back there, and I'd opt for a trailer. Lots of leverage pulling on that hitch with two full sized bikes hanging out there, and with a half ton, that's asking for some potential handling issues.