Sign in to follow this  

Going to ride Europe!

Hey guys, I've never really been outside the yamaha dirtbike forum until now. I've got an 04 YZ450 that I love. But now I'm moving to Germany for 3 yrs and the mx scene I guess is not all that. Especially when compared to the riding here in Utah. So thinking I'm going to pick up a supermoto to fill the void. Never really ridden street. So I'm wondering, I probably need to get one in the states before heading over. What would be a good bike? I like the KTM and Yamaha bikes. What kind of maintenance will I have on a supermoto? Hopefully its closer to a street bike than a dirt bike as far as frequency. I figure I'll be riding mountains and twisties through germany. would probably use as commuter in summer time also. Any other info as far as when and where to find reasonable bikes or any info on the riding in Europe would be much appreciated. Thanks.

get a bike now and take it with you trying to find a dirt bike over in germany sucks!

check the local laws if you can dual sport a dirt bike..do that first then convert it to a motard bike. that way if you find a place to ride you can still do both. take a look here

http://www.motostrano.com/Supermoto-Conversion-Kit-Quick-Switch-p/kit-qwik.htm

where exactly in germany are you going? i live about 30 min away from Trier

Convert that yz450:). If you want cheap, durable and easy maint pick up a factory drz400SM. Handles really well and is rock solid. It will feel like a moped coming off that yz though. They are about 50lbs heavier and probably about 1/2 the HP(roughly 35hp stock at the crank). If you want more of a racing oriented street legal SM i would lean towards ktm. Keep in mind there are a lot of trick bikes over seas that we dont see over here. Lots of factory SM bikes, still 2 stroke SMs over there and lots of cool variations. Most of them will probably be restricted or plugged up in some manner so bring a few tools:ride:

Bama1, I'm going to k town. Army base there. I'm assuming I'd have to find a street legal kit to go on the bike as well?

If I convert my 450, how long between oil changes, filters, forks? I currently do oil and air filter every three rides and forks once a year. Oils will be expensive over there since I assume base won't carry good stuff and don't really want to constantly be doing maintenance.

i got some friends in K town. i had a legal XR650R i changed the oil about every 300-600 miles depending on how much dirt action i got between oil changes. there are alot of places you can order back from the states. yeah go to baja esigns and order up a dual sport kit for your bike. your also going to have to re-wind the stator or send it to be re wound

as far as filters go. they are cheap enough to just change on oil changes the air filter will be ok for a few rides if you are on the street but after 1 ride in the dirt i would clean it.

fork oil at 1 time a year should be more than plenty for just super moto riding unless you just feel the need to change it more often. small tip if you find something you need that doesnt ship to apo addy make an apobox.com account

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/search.html?scopeId=MB〈=en :lol:

If you are planning to ride alot or long trips, go for a XR650R or KTM690,cheaper ones are the FMX or SLR650 (XR650L engine) ,Yam XTX660 or any long stroke engine.If you want to do the hooligan thing around town or do track rides, you can take a CRF450X or R,WR or YZ450 or any MX based short stroke,high powered/maintenance machine. KTM's are very much a hype here in Europe.Husky al so makes decent factory made SMR's.

MXMANU is right big bore long stroke if you plan on riding any sort of distance

but if your just going to tool around short trips keep the YZ but make sure you bring tools and a service manual your going to need it!!

XRMANU, what part of Europe you in? How is the dirt riding over there?

I'm considering taking my dirt bike since its a bad time to sell and won't get what its worth right now. Seems like there are a few tracks around. Also, a friend really wants me to take his 07 FZ1, but I think I'd rather have a SM. Are used KTMs more expensive over there than here? UT is not really into supermoto scene and there's not much to choose from. Maybe I take the FZ1 and convert my 450 to SM for fun. Maintenance not an issue for me, just wasn't sure if the schedule would be same after converting. Thanks for the replies.

everything is more expensive in europe you pay in euros and 19% VAT on everything 1$ is worth about. 0.72 euro cent

everything is more expensive in europe you pay in euros and 19% VAT on everything 1$ is worth about. 0.72 euro cent

0.72 euro not euro cent

19% vat is in Germany. Here in Belgium most goods are 21%..........:lol:

A Hotcams cam for example cost 235 euro over here...A JE piston 240 euro...:)

you are going to love riding there. There are so many more roads in Europe that suit bikes with a single than there are here. Unless you just love your yz just so much, wait until you are there to but a bike. They will have so many different models you will dig that you will never see in the US.

We had taken a trip to Italy.My family was betting pissed at me when walking around. I was hang back taming pictures and looking at bikes when I should have been looking at deteriorating Roman buildings.

I'm military in Germany... PM me for details/questions. I have an '09 DRZ400SM and a '00 TL1000R. SM is good for the local stuff but for touring and autobahn you need something that can easily cruise 80mph or better.

I lived there for 13 years. Seperated from the military and stayed there just because of the riding. I logged over 160,000 miles on bikes there. The riding is phenominal!

XRMANU, what part of Europe you in? How is the dirt riding over there?

I'm considering taking my dirt bike since its a bad time to sell and won't get what its worth right now. Seems like there are a few tracks around. Also, a friend really wants me to take his 07 FZ1, but I think I'd rather have a SM. Are used KTMs more expensive over there than here? UT is not really into supermoto scene and there's not much to choose from. Maybe I take the FZ1 and convert my 450 to SM for fun. Maintenance not an issue for me, just wasn't sure if the schedule would be same after converting. Thanks for the replies.

as I said earlier I spent 13 years there. I would take the FZ. It will be a better all around bike. You can do longer trips, to the alps, Austria, etc. Not very doable on a supermoto. There are a few tracks near you. Hochenheim (30 min) and Nurburgring (90 min) both are awesome tracks. You will thave he A1 autobahn literally out your back door, alot of it is limited to 120 - 150 km about 75 - 90 mph, (mostly ignored) that will have a supermoto screaming! Nurburgring has two tracks, the actual GP track and then Nordshcleife (north loop) a 1920's LeMans track that has been rebuilt and you can pay and do a lap (12 miles) without any special licenses.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/ueberuns/streckeninformationen/nordschleife.html

Supermoto (supermotard) is way bigger there than here, but you can see and enjoy so much more on a bigger, sport bike. I KNOW, TAKE BOTH!,

If you take the 450, do all conversions and licensing before you ship it, or you will catch hell getting ir done.

take the FZ1.That is the perfect street bike for someone that has a dirtbike backround.I have ridden one before fell in love with it

Your YZ is a 4 speed which is fine on a MX track.I have a WR and I would like a extra gear like the KTM has. If you have the ability, take it too.You are right, you wont get what your bike is worth and you may as well get use out of it. I think one you are out ripping around you arent to want to end your ride and the FZ1 will be a lot better for long days by alot

Anyone know how much it costs to ship a bike, something like a drz400 over to Germany from the states? I'm trying to decide if it's better to sell my bikes and buy new ones once I get there or ship them over. I'm in Texas if that changes anything dramatically.

I think you should buy a bike in Germany because it saves a lot of trouble with registration.

And if you ever are curoius to try a trackday there is a lot of great supermoto tracks over there.

The germany supermoto champinionship is called the little world champinionship due to the high level of the drivers and they do compete in the world champinionship.

I recommend also that you visit nuerburgring when you are in Germany http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/startseite.html

Nicklas

Sweden

Anyone know how much it costs to ship a bike, something like a drz400 over to Germany from the states? I'm trying to decide if it's better to sell my bikes and buy new ones once I get there or ship them over. I'm in Texas if that changes anything dramatically.