Sign in to follow this  

YZ-250 Pipe help.

Evening: So it's time for some fall maintenance. I have had my share of fouled plugs-off floats--playing with jet/needle set-up's.-Plenty of pipe splooge. Check-out the build up in my pipe ? How can i clean this ?

This is on the inside hard.tried wire brush. Any help would much be appreciated. Thanks.Nov057.jpg

Nov058.jpg

I swear this exact questions was asked last week and someone posted a link to something, but I cant find it now. I think basically you have to heat it up with a blow torch

It's normal for these bikes to have some build-up after a while.

You can burn it out with a torch.

There's got to be a chemical out there to disolve it.

Believe it or not i used gasoline to clean the carbon out of my exhaust. It worked great. But my buddy tol me it works better if you light it on fire but i didnt because i dont want a blow torch.

lol put some kero in there then chuck a match in. I want to try that :busted:

It's normal for these bikes to have some build-up after a while.

You can burn it out with a torch.

There's got to be a chemical out there to disolve it.

I know, I can't find anything that will do a good job.

I've put gas and rocks in it and shook it around.

Heated it for a few hours with a propane torch.

Tried diesel and oven cleaner.

The torch worked the best, but not worth the time.

I believe I've heard of taking them to a radiator shop and having them dip it in their acid (?). It will strip the finish, but clean the inside.

A combination of kerosene/gasoline, wire brush, and possibly some oven cleaner should do the trick. If that won't do it and a blow torch doesn't help either then try to find someone with a sand blaster.

From the looks of it, you're running REALLY rich. I've had my DEP pipe for about 3 years now, cleaned it only once, it NEVER looked that bad. Are you using dino oil by any chance? After you finish cleaning your pipe I'd suggest to try a cleaner burning oil like Motul 800 or something similar.

Next time I have mine off, I'm gonna try a liter of Coke.

Gasoline will work! I do it everytime I replace the top end on my bikes to keep them clean. I put about 2 cups of gas in the pipe. Plug both ends and shake for about 5 mins. I thne use a grill lighter (to keep my hands out of the way) and light the left over fuel! It will act like a blow torch when you light the gas so you have to be careful. Probably not the recommended method but it works very well! Best part is I just use the old gas in the push mower, so I dont waste it!

Toilet cleaner works, careful though it is costic. Fill it up and leave it 24 hrs

I've used oven cleaner with some success. You'll need to do it about 5 times tho. Messy. Wear gloves.

Another trick I picked up somewhere, was using like a 1/4" braided steel-cable, cut to about 1/2 the length of your pipe. Chop and frey one end up about 2", then wrap a small bit of wire above the frey (so it won't continue to frey). Then, stick the other end in your power drill. Put the freyed end in the pipe and let it bounce around in there and scratch it clean. It's messy, but can help get out the thicker deposits. I also found it helpful to make another cable about 6" long to get the entrance/exit of the pipe. This helped to break up some deposits, but didn't hit eveything in there.

I also read that some guys woul build a fire, get coals going, bury the pipe in the coals over night, and then dig up their clean pipe in the morning. Never tried it myself.

Go to NAPA and buy a gallon of 'real' carb cleaner like the auto shops use to clean carb parts. You'll know that you have the right stuff if there is a basket in the can to hold carb parts. Seal up one end, pour in a quart of cleaner, seal up the other end, shake it around occasionally for a couple of days. Result - clean pipe. BTW, do not use rubber parts to seal the pipe ends; this stuff will eat it up in no time! This stuff cleans up with water.

Carbon tetrachloride will get it off. May take a while though

I think I read somewhere on here where the guy went to a radiator repair shop and had them dip his pipe in an acid bath or soda wash or something like that. That might have been for rust on the pipe though, not sure, I've been reading alot here ..lol.

Thanks to all who replyed.Just stepp'en in the door--chase;in the $$$$.

Ken Powell going to hit the local Napa in the A.M -Now Mix.a subject than can go for days.Crew here has three RM's,and two YZ.s I use to run Golden Spectro for a number of years--since i,ve add a couple more 2T weapons--i switched to Super "M",I get 64oz cheap--- 32-1.

I never had any major isues with the fuel with the othe bikes-but mine.- After i clean the pipe I am going to hit you guy's up on tuning this bike. -I just found out that the factory recommended notch on the needle was the second from the bottom---My Miki 38 has been on the second from the top- This bike will run like a bat out of H-if i stay on it .

Im not riding as hard these day's-Age LOL. Im sure i can dial it in.Just think of the laughs when i post-"How to de-tune my YZ-250"

Thanks-Prostreetray.

Nov053.jpg