Sign in to follow this  

'74 DT175 Whats it worth?

1. So I was wondering what people think this bike is worth. It's a 74 DT175 that needs a new top end. Its in somewhat rough shape. The oil tank is smashed some, needs some new parts, and tires are beyond shot. The only thing this has going for it is, it has a title. So i figure a new top end, tires, cables, fork seals, and lights and I'm good to go as far as getting it on the road, which I plan to do. All the wiring is still intact according to the owner.

IMG959700.jpg

IMG957264.jpg

2. What would the value be of the bike I'm trading for it? It's a 79 DT250 that is in need of nothing. It has a lot of fresh parts and almost new tires. It has an aftermarket expansion chamber also. It runs great. I think I could probably get 400 dollars for my bike. I have no title for the bike. The bike is filthy in this picture, its also missing the oil pump cover which has been replaced since.

PA280085.jpg

3. Thanks in advance for your imput. This trade might not make sense to most people but I blame it on my first bike.

001.jpg

Edited by 79yamdt
Looked bad

Okay. I was thinking around 200 mainly because of the title. If a bike doesn't have a title in PA your going to have a near impossible time getting one. Thank you for your appraisal. Anyone else have any values?

i've seen rough dt250's around here for 400, but those guys had the "it's old" rule going, it seems right if it's pristine, maybe get a title for it and you'll have a few more buyers looking at it.

Getting a Title is not going to happen for my bike. Okay so from what I see from responses. I should be able to get this guy to pay me 200 dollars difference? The more opinions the merrier. Thanks for the input

1: $75/125 tops look like it going need major engine rebuild even with a title

2: $150/200 tops main becuases it miss a lot of part that make streetable

3: What Size and years is that one?, I take it to DT125 or 175?.

Frist rules is if there no title knock off $75 rigth of the top how ever I will never touch them with out a title in any state they do have title on Street Bike or you need original Manufacturer Certificate of Origin and original seller Bill of Sale for MX and ATV I belive new one now come to reg title now in most state where some state don't like where move to don't.

If it has been sitting like that with the top end off, it is not worth much. You will have to go through the bottom end as well. It would be nice to put your 250 engine in, for title purposes.

1: $75/125 tops look like it going need major engine rebuild even with a title

2: $150/200 tops main becuases it miss a lot of part that make streetable

3: What Size and years is that one?, I take it to DT125 or 175?.

Frist rules is if there no title knock off $75 rigth of the top how ever I will never touch them with out a title in any state they do have title on Street Bike or you need original Manufacturer Certificate of Origin and original seller Bill of Sale for MX and ATV I belive new one now come to reg title now in most state where some state don't like where move to don't.

It is a 1974 dt 125. It was a nice bike and had electric start which amazes me.

It's only been sitting like that for a few days. He blew it up and took it to a bike shop for them to check it out.

Well I wish him the best of lucky $350 only a foul would be that dumb not know better.

I beat there at lease $400 if not just rebuild the motor

What are u trying to say in the last sentence. Thanks for the input everyone.

If it has been sitting like that with the top end off, it is not worth much. You will have to go through the bottom end as well. It would be nice to put your 250 engine in, for title purposes.

I have a spare 400 motor laying around. :busted: maybe that will find a new home. Haha

Get the guy to lower the price on the titled bike and stick that 400 in it!

Well as far as actually doing and engine swap, I think the frame couldn't handle the massive 21 hp the 400 is rated to put out. :busted: Maybe if I braced the frame somehow and put a purple powerband in it I could safely double the horsepower without frame damage.

If I got the bike street legal and in the condition my first bike was in would it be worth anything? Or would it just be some old bike that no one wants.

Edited by 79yamdt

What are u trying to say in the last sentence. Thanks for the input everyone.

As in rebuild the Motor the rigth way will most liky take about $400+

Used Head and Cylinder and install New Piston/Ring and have Cylinder Bore/Hone that if you get lucky and fine a good one other you spent way more or if you still have the old Cylinder it sometime get eazyer to have new Cylinder Sleeves installed.

Rebuild the Crank Rod replace Crank bearings and seal kit and check all gears for warn out ones replace them and the new clutchs

That dosen't count all other thing that are missing on the bike

Ok be it a 1974 DT125 $150/175 tops main becuase of electric start

Put a 400cc big bore the small 125 frame is just ask for major headach later on.

21 hp the 400 is rated to put out

That seem to be a bit low for 400cc 2-storke should be more like 35 to 40hp

Oh, he has the the cylinder and head. It has never been bored over before, it still has the standard size piston so there's multiple re bores left on the top end that comes with the bike. I figure 75$ for a quality rebore/honing, about the same for a top end kit, and about 15 for a complete gasket kit. If I find the bottom end is in need of replacing from a visual inspection/check for play I will probably pass on the bike.

I was kinda kidding around about the engine swap.

I already got rid of the last bike in my OP. But thanks for the info anyways.

That seem to be a bit low for 400cc 2-storke should be more like 35 to 40hp

Well it's also a DT engine so it's not a race engine or anything.

Well it's also a DT engine so it's not a race engine or anything.

Dame it only 23hp stock your rigth I wrong so no wonder why I love Suzuki TS400 it was little power house pump out 35hp that stock to god help you if ever take it next level hehe with all goodies

That pick of the clean DT was really cool. $200 for the used one seem ok, just alot of work to go complete rebuild. But the end result is cool!