Sign in to follow this  

Upgradeing from yz125 to a cr295

hey guys just got a few questions

i own a yz490 and a yz125 now the 490 is great but dont like ridieng it all the time as its a older bike and starting to be worth money but i still really enjoy it and would never sell it

but my yz125 on the other hand is a 2000 model and up for a rebuild

and finding it to be to slow and just starting to get bore dof it only got it to improve my rideing ive had it around 5 months now and feel i have out grown it

now heres the question im going to sell my 125 and have had my eye on this cr295 all freshly rebuilt

just wondering how fast these bikes really are its a 1994 model heres a list of mods

.......................................................................................

1994 CR250,stroked and bored to 295

completley re-built.

new Motor (race Specs) clutch and gearbox!

Wossner piston, carbon reeds, race bearings,

blue printed & balanced.

FMF Fatty power pipe, re-built carby.

all new bearings in frame and swingarm.

CR werx seat,

near new tyre on the back.

plastics in good nic.

this a VERY QUICK bike, pulls me up in the first 4

gears and I weigh 100kg. keeps up with wr450 no worries,

I have over $2500 in receipts for all the work carried out this machine.

only 3 tanks of juice run through it since rebuild...

.....................................................................................................

im guessing this thing would absolutly smash my old yz490 in power terms but how ride able is this power ?

i dont race i just do trails and race mates out in the bush and have fun

for the price he is asking i think i would kick my self for not buying

btw my mates all have 4 stroke 450's and up so the 125 is pretty useless against them but i do manage to beat them thrue the tight stuff i just have to ride so hard

and im a 2 stroke guy only 1 left in our group who use's a 2 stroke lol

so would love a 2 stroke that would make there 4 bangers eat dirt behind me

also how much of a learning curve is this bike going to be ?

so the long as you are sure the motor work has been done correctly , why not

keep in mind that those type of bikes need preventive maintenance , as do all bikes . the learning is in how to maintain a 4 stroke motor AND how to ride a 4 stroke .

over revving leads to bottom end and valve wear

so the long as you are sure the motor work has been done correctly , why not

keep in mind that those type of bikes need preventive maintenance , as do all bikes . the learning is in how to maintain a 4 stroke motor AND how to ride a 4 stroke .

over revving leads to bottom end and valve wear

The op is talking about buying a modded CR, a 2 stroke.

Op, if you are riding trails, Im not sure why you would want an old modded CR250. I could think of many bikes that would perform better on the trail than that particular bike. What is your budget? I understand that bikes are very expensive over there, but if your budget allows for a trail specific 2 stroke, such as a KTM 250/300 XC, thats what I would be looking for. I have a 300 XC and its an absolute trail beast, the best trail bike I have owned.

Buy a newer 250 or 300, one that wasn't bored to avoid issues. At 225lbs, you are a bit heavy to keep up on the 125, so I see why you need more.

he wants 2k for the cr295

ive got him down to $1800 includeing him deleivering it to my house

my budget is around $2200

and im selling my 125 to my dad as he has not had a bike for years since he was 18 19 back in the day he owned a brand new rm125 82 model 1st of the watercooled lol so he tells me

and wants to spend some time with me

me and him have always had a fairly good relationship but as for doing things together its never been a strong point its taken 25 years but we are finaly geting connected and he is wanting to spend some time with me

so im pretty much giveing him my yz125 as it is a good strong bike and great to start to learn on again selling it to him for $800 and just leting him pay me back , not that i care if i never see 1 cent as the quality of just going rideing with him is well worth much more

so anyways in reality the cr295 is only actualy going to cost me 1k

ive looked at a few KTM's are they are a really nice bike but all the ones ive looked at in my price range ether look really good but the owners have really failed on maintenance they think washing a bike spotless will keep it running for ever ,,,,,,,,,

then the others ive looked at are really just runned down and up for alot of new parts

i weigh 74kg atm but im puting the weight back own aiming for around the 80kg

im 6ft 2

even thou its a 94 model i was thinking it will feel like a new bike as everything has been redone on it

he wants 2k for the cr295

ive got him down to $1800 includeing him deleivering it to my house

my budget is around $2200

and im selling my 125 to my dad as he has not had a bike for years since he was 18 19 back in the day he owned a brand new rm125 82 model 1st of the watercooled lol so he tells me

and wants to spend some time with me

me and him have always had a fairly good relationship but as for doing things together its never been a strong point its taken 25 years but we are finaly geting connected and he is wanting to spend some time with me

so im pretty much giveing him my yz125 as it is a good strong bike and great to start to learn on again selling it to him for $800 and just leting him pay me back , not that i care if i never see 1 cent as the quality of just going rideing with him is well worth much more

so anyways in reality the cr295 is only actualy going to cost me 1k

ive looked at a few KTM's are they are a really nice bike but all the ones ive looked at in my price range ether look really good but the owners have really failed on maintenance they think washing a bike spotless will keep it running for ever ,,,,,,,,,

then the others ive looked at are really just runned down and up for alot of new parts

i weigh 74kg atm but im puting the weight back own aiming for around the 80kg

im 6ft 2

even thou its a 94 model i was thinking it will feel like a new bike as everything has been redone on it

why did you say 100kg before?

why did you say 100kg before?

the guy who owns it atm is 100kg

was a cut an paste from the advertisement

the guy who owns it atm is 100kg

was a cut an paste from the advertisement

oh, man, you should stay on the 125, or 144 it if you are 75kg. Im 74kg, and ride a 200exc, and Im wanting a ktm 144/150 for my next whip

oh, man, you should stay on the 125, or 144 it if you are 75kg. Im 74kg, and ride a 200exc, and Im wanting a ktm 144/150 for my next whip

agree O.o im 110lbs and my 200 is awesome! i also love riding 125's, and for that price you can find an 04-05 yz 125. at least in minnesota...

ended up buying it

and wow all i got to say is wow

very scary bike but great fun to ride

love it as much as my yz490

but the powerband on this 295 cc is really incredible

295cc big bore and stroke kit i went thrue the receipts all built by eric gorr

he said you cant get the kits straight out cause he does not make them alot he manly does 265's

but apparently he spent extra and got the 295cc done thrue him

witch all add's up thrue the receipts and dyno tune

im very impressed with this bike it take's me back to my very 1st rid eof my 1st bike

having to relearn how to ride and tame the power output

all i got to say is guys if you can get a 295 they are fckn awesome

they have power from a 2 stroke ive never felt before