Problem after problem, 08 Crf250r

Some of you probably remember the thread about the bike being hard to start, the shop i took it too had to do a shit load of work to it to get it running properly. After maybe 5 rides on the bike since i got it back it started to make a funny noise the other day which i could slightly hear over the sound of the actual engine noise. I dropped it off at the shop yesterday and the mechanic called today and said he thinks it needs a new bottom end, I dont know exactly what they need to do but i know its big. Does anyone have any ideas of anything else the noise could be? Also as i am only a student I dont have a part time job but am looking for one, but things are rough at work for my dad so i dont know if we could even pay for it to be done? How hard would a bottom end be for me and my dad to do, or would it be better too sell the bike and get a whole new bike? Ideas please i love this bike but theres been so many problems.

Thanks in advance

Replacing the bottom end does require some decent mechanical skill. You will need some special tools to do the job. I guess the 1st thing you need to do is ask whoever has the bike, what makes them think that it needs a bottom end? Not that it's something that can't be wrong, but what did the shop find with the engine? Was there shavings in the oil filter? You can rebuild the bottom end yourself for around $500 give or take. Usually less. And when they tell you that the 08/09 crankshafts are specific to that year, the only thing that's different is the 08/09 crankshafts are onces lighter than the 04-07. Other than that, exactly the same. They will jack up the price on it and you'll probably have to wait because they are always on backorder. You will not feel the difference from one to the other.

I think if someone is going to stay in the MX sport they should learn to do as much of their own mechanical work as they can...unless you got deep pockets.

Now is a good time to start learning.

The CRf motor is not vey complicated, actually it's pretty easy to work on.

Once you have been inside one a couple of times your almost an expert.

A service manual is a must and as Charlie said you'll need a few special tools.

1. case splitter

2. flywheel puller

3. torque wrench

( motion pro carries most all the special tool)

4. basic metric tool set

best to have an air compressor and a impact wrench as well.

I use the heat and freeze method to remove and replace bearings, a hot plate and the wife's freezer...she hates finding bearings in the freezer.

Read the manual, take lost of pictures and don't be afraid to pop down to the shop for advice...I work at a Honda shop and we do it all the time.

I only turned 15 not that long ago but i do try do as much as i can, I love working on bikes i actually want to be a bike mechanic when im older. I dont know if i really would be able to do any part of an engine rebuild but Im sure Ill attempt it one day

Find someone can dissembly it for you and teach you how. With a service manual and patience you can pratically do everything yourself. You don't have the choice despite your dad really believe in your skill and pay for everything.

The essential tools is not so expensive

Service manual is ESSENTIAL and if you search well you probably can get one for free

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2004-2008-Honda-CRF250R-Factory-Service-Manual-/120771513203?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1e8b0b73#ht_5958wt_1163

Flywheel puller, you can't split the case without this

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FLYWHEEL-PULLER-24mm-CRF450-YZ450F-KX450F-RMZ450-CRF250-/230686628519?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item35b5fe9aa7#ht_992wt_1163

3/8 Torque wrench is really easy to find everywhere, try to get one in Newton/Meter, is simple to work on a honda with this scale

I also greatly recommend to use a gear holder for be able to torque some gear, you can use a impact, but this way you can't know the torque

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Motion-Pro-MP-Clutch-Flywheel-Holding-Holder-Hold-Tool-08-0008-Hub-Basket-Stator-/220883061916?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item336da80c9c#ht_634wt_1163

This is a video how to reassembly a CRF450R bottom...

http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/InstallationVideos.aspx?ItemID=35&page=1

You will not need a case splitter. The cases come apart easy, not like a 2 stroke. If you decide to do it yourself, make it easy on yourself and get a box of zip lock bags. Label everything and even write yourself some notes and stick it in the bags with the parts as to where they go. Take pictures as it comes apart this way you have something to reference. Ask questions on this site if there's something you don't understand. The facory shop manual is the best to use, but it can be confusing if you don't fully understand this stuff. Plenty of video's and instructions on the internet.

• Like 1

I might actually be getting a whole new 2011 crf250r not because of this but because of the amount of money we have had to repair it and the fact there will probably be alot of other bad stuff that could happen, could you give me some info and anything id need too know about the 2011 please charlie? Thanks :busted:

The 11 is an amazing bike with the 12 being just a tad bit better better due to minor upgrades. As you know, they just continue to get better every year. I wouldn't hesitat to replace the 08 with an 11 or 12. I myself am contemplating on getting my kid off the 450 and back onto a 250. The 450 makes you lazy. His cornering and riding style has just been laxed due to the bike doing all the work. I'm looking into a 11 or 12 myself. I don't look forward to a rebuild every 30-50 hrs, but I hate seeing a good rider go to crap because the bike does all the work.

The factory lowering link is roughly $150 while the aftermarket links usually start at $200. Have the stock HPSD revalved. They will never work like a Scotts or an Ohlin damper, but they work so much better than they way they are valved out of the factory. It truly makes a hughe difference.

Went too the shop today and put a deposit on the bike picking up during the week, replacing the stock chain and sprocket and the exhaust system with a yoshi system or maybe just the slip on, most likely the whole system though, once I've broken the bike in I will start working on the suspension

Also as i am only a student I dont have a part time job but am looking for one, but things are rough at work for my dad so i dont know if we could even pay for it to be done? How hard would a bottom end be for me and my dad to do, or would it be better too sell the bike and get a whole new bike? Ideas please i love this bike but theres been so many problems.

Thanks in advance

Blimey, things must have improved alot financially since your first post!

Now and new bike and a full Yoshi :busted:

I'm only jealous. Good luck with the new ride.