Chain and sprocket combos

Hi All - I have a question on chain/sprocket combinations.

I am currently runnign a 14-44 with stock chain. Still great on freeway, but not so much on more challenging climbs.

I bought a 47 rear sprocket and have a second set of wheels with a 48 rear. I'll keep one on standby.

Can I use the stock chain on the 14/48 combo?

If yes, how much top end on the road am I going to lose with the 48?

Thanks.

15/41 is stock for the SM so dropping the front to a 14 is like gaining three in the rear, then adding a 48 back there would actually mean adding a 51 on a stock sprocket, high revs all over the place. Instead of using such high gearing you can also add a lightend flywheel to help get the RPM's up into the power band. Just my 2c.

436 yosi rs 2 ect ect

15/47 for tight woods & dirt 50 mph on road and bit busy revs wise.

Wow, that's some tall gearing - maybe the BB kit is helping but I still think it's too high.

I run 14/49 for standard "off-road" running which includes tight woods etc., but for very steep climbs I could do with going to 13T front or maybe 51 rear.

By very steep I mean the sort of climb where your very likely to flip the bike or spin out sideways and not your average wind the throttle open and hang on sort of climbs..:busted:

Also stock chain for E is 112 links and 14/47 gearing. For 14/49 gearing the stock chain was to short so I needed to go to 114 links.

+1 on the 14/49 combo for tighter stuff. My stock chain (112 links) had about 2,000 miles on it when I put the 49 on the rear and it just barely fits. The adjusters are all the way forward but still give the correct amount of slack. I believe the only reason it works is because after that many miles the chain is worn a bit. I have a new chain in the shop to be put on when I get the chance and I will be cutting it at 114 links.

The chain does ride up on the lower chain guard so I'm keeping my eye out looking to see if there will be accelerated wear on it. Maybe having 114 links and the wheel adjusted back will help give a bit better angle into the lower guard.

14/44 runs freeway strong at 70, even if it sounds like it's gonna explode.

436 yosi rs 2 ect ect

15/38 in S/M form

15/47 for tight woods & dirt 50 mph on road and bit busy revs wise.

15/44 for dirt and road cruises at 50 mph with good revs.