Sign in to follow this  

battery problem

hi all great site i am hoping someone might be able to help me with a battery /charging problem.

yes i have read the charging trouble shooting thingy in the faqs but i am noob at this and have zero knowledge of electrics, and no meter.

i have a 2007 drz400e with no mods. it only has only done 3000 km. i just put a brand new gel battery in it. while riding it to get a road worthy check done on it, the dash cut out, and shorty after that the bike died.

after getting it home i jump started it. i removed the positive lead and it died. hoping that this might indicate a particular part or problem that i can repair or replace myself.

any ideas?

If you take the battery lead off then it is going to die.

Were your connections all tight? How does the wiring look at the ignition? Fuse?

thanx for your speedy reply. i think i found the problem. i found a 2 pin plug under the rear of fule tank that has a red and black wire. one of the pins is completely burned off. also i found a 3 pin plug with yellow, blue and black wires. one of the conections on this plug has a little blue corrosion.

i gather this will be the problem. so question is, do i need to replace the plugs or can i simply join the wires?

yea well i cleaned up the 3 pin plug pretty good, it wasnt so bad, just a little light corrosion. can i just cut the 2 pins plug out and join the wires or do i really need to replace the plug?

wish i knew what a cdi was. :busted: the 2 pin plug has a black and a red wire, it is located very close to the plug from the stator with the yellow wires.

No ..they lead to the regulator/rectifier.....

attachment.php?attachmentid=12410&d=1260664274

These 2 wires can be cut about 100mm from the R/R and be wired directly to the battery terminals...

Affectionately known as the Free Power Mod....this mod will give about .5 more volts to the battery.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627031

A Free Power Mod harness is available from Eddie...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=9566050#post9566050

Pictures stolen from Eric Marquez..:busted:

great i will grab some bits tomorrow and do this, it cant be that hard. thanx so much for your time, it is very much appreciated.

btw where do the the wires normally lead to?

rofl

so does this mod bypass the fuse?

should i just forget where the wires normally go and connect them to battery. :busted:

will do, cheers m8. :busted:

btw i did manage to get it through the pits and registered. was a bit bumed out that i had this problem, but at least i know how to fix it now, and it should be a cheap fix.

think i might do some of the other preventative maintenance things listed in the faqs, like the stator locktite fix.

The Free Power mod does bypass the fuse for battery charge. It does not bypass the fuse for the rest of the motorcycle.

A DRZ with standard wiring will run if the battery is disconnected. The ignition runs direct from the power produced from the alternator. But with a bad connection to the RR, it dies when the battery is disconnected.

With the Free Power mod, the motorcycle will still run without the battery but the RR wires need to remain connected to the battery cables.

I didnt think a DRZ would run w/o a battery? Isnt that why a capacitor is needed for the kick model?

It'll run. Not great but it will run. This has been kicked around for 11 years. I have verified it myself, it will run with the battery disconnected. I don't recommend it.