Sign in to follow this  

Killed It

Had a bad fall the other day at about 15mph which has resulted in a write off.

I plan to fix the bike myself as I'm quoted 20 hours labour at about £600.

Damaged parts

Frame

Top Yoke

Bottom Yoke and Stem

Front Master Cylinder + Lever

Front Brake Disc

Rear Brake Disc

Front Rim

Handlebars

Head Race Bearings

Possible forks

Downpipe

Handguards

Pillion Pegs

Crash Bobbins

:busted: What a costly mistake, it was a new front tyre which slipped below me - fire services had to cut me free as a passenger footpeg went through my motoX boots and initially paramedics believed it had gone through my foot, luckily it went in between my toes, a miracle!

I've found a frame for a KLX400 2002 model. My DRZ is a 2008 SM, as far as I am aware they are exactly the same frames. Can someone confirm that I can swap everything to the new frame? The frame will be coming from the USA (I'm in UK) - how do I go about the VIN numbers etc, assuming it even has a VIN on this new frame? Can I peel my old VIN off and steel glue it on?

Also, if anyone has a frame or any of the above, please PM me.

In fact if anyone has done a similar process your comments will be very much appreciated!

If the insurance write your bike off because of a bent frame then you can't use that frame number again to register the bike.

I'm not sure about an import frame but as long as it has an unmodified frame number stamp you should be okay.

I would ring VOSA though (or some other department) and have a chat with them about it before importing a frame.:busted:

Same frame. All parts are swapable as assemblys.

Thanks!

the bike must have hit the ground and stopped , without sliding

Nope, it slid - with me pinned to it via the footpeg, I ended up hitting a barrier (and bending that). DRZ plummeted in to a wall on it's side eventually.

If the insurance write your bike off because of a bent frame then you can't use that frame number again to register the bike.

I'm not sure about an import frame but as long as it has an unmodified frame number stamp you should be okay.

I would ring VOSA though (or some other department) and have a chat with them about it before importing a frame.

I haven't actually told my insurance as I am 3rd party F&T, maybe I used write off a bit too openly.

VOSA/DVLA is a good shout - didn't think of that - thank you.

For my money, I'd sell anything not busted on that bike and start over. Just glancing over it, it sounds like you'll spend more money in fixing it than it will ever be worth.

If you haven't reported it, you can reuse your vin as being the original but BEWARE I know in the U.S. it is illegal to do what I said you can do, just letting you know up front.

if you have been quoted £600 in parts plus 20 hours labour, i take it they are not factoring in a frame then..

what is wrong with the frame and yokes? is the master cylinder just scraped?

got pics of the damage so we can help asses what it needs

The labour quote is to strip and dump in to a new frame, no parts inc.

The master cylinder (£300 odd brembo) is smashed to bits. The top yoke has snapped in two, and the stem had bent. Bottom yoke is apparently needed too. The head bearings are smashed in.

The frame apparently has stress marks, which I am yet to see... If it's not that bad can I ride on it - or is that a NO NO?

Front Excel rim has a dent in it, and is buckled.

Front disc is warped, as is the rear.

Downpipe is bent, as the front wheel pushed all the way back far enough to dent it - which makes me also think the suspension is shot but the garage think otherwise (miracle? I know upside down's are quite forgiving but....)

I haven't got any pics, as it's in the garage and not too bright in there. I'm picking it up on Saturday to strip and diagnose myself, I will get some pictures.

I think I'll buy a frame as I've found one for a steal and work on the bike as a project. *UPDATE*: Just bought a frame for £220 shipped from USA

I think I can restore my bike for about £500, which is good in my eyes.

How heavy is the engine, I.E what do I need (other than a friend's help) to lift it from the current frame to a new one? N00b to this, could go terribly wrong in which I will sell the bike's good bits as suggested. Probably profit on the new frame too.

Re-using my VIN is a good idea, as it would avoid the DVLA coming to give the bike a once over - but of course I won't do that.... :busted:

If anything, I'm sure this will create a good thread for the restoration process.

Edited by petedrz400sm

The labour quote is to strip and dump in to a new frame, no parts inc.

The master cylinder (£300 odd brembo) is smashed to bits. The top yoke has snapped in two, and the stem had bent. Bottom yoke is apparently needed too. The head bearings are smashed in.

The frame apparently has stress marks, which I am yet to see... If it's not that bad can I ride on it - or is that a NO NO?

I would expect to see the frame bent with that kind of damage.

Take a picture of the “stress marks” and post um up.. There are some manufacture bends, dips, ripples and such, that some mistake for damage. And correct, if the frame is bent, don’t ride it that way, replace.

Front Excel rim has a dent in it, and is buckled.

Front disc is warped, as is the rear.

Downpipe is bent, as the front wheel pushed all the way back far enough to dent it - which makes me also think the suspension is shot but the garage think otherwise (miracle? I know upside down's are quite forgiving but....)

The forks are bent if the damage is as stated to the other parts.. Fork stanchions just do not typically survive triple clamps being bent and broken, front wheel rims collapsed, and if the front wheel was pushed back far enough to dent the header… then the forks had to be bent…… Anything is possible, but the forks not being bent as part of your described damage, is just not likely.

How heavy is the engine, I.E what do I need (other than a friend's help) to lift it from the current frame to a new one?

It’s a one man job, no issue. A second set of hands for the first time is always a good idea.. but I cannot count the number of times I have removed and installed a DRZ engine from the frame by myself.

Swapping parts from one frame to another is basic wrenching. If you don’t have one, get a digital camera. Take pictures in a pattern front to rear, down one side, around the back, then other side .

Do it at level height with the center of the bike and then higher and then lower.

This creates an easily searchable panoramic photo digest for you to reference later. Then take a pic or ten of each major or confusing part before you remove it. Keep parts or part assemblies together with the fasteners that attached them.

Take your time; ask if you have questions, bag like parts, mark everything take a ton of FREE digital pictures, post up when you get stuck. Anybody that is motivated has the tools required, place to work undisturbed and a medium amount of wrenching experience can do this swap.

Re-using my VIN is a good idea, as it would avoid the DVLA coming to give the bike a once over - but of course I won't do that.... :busted:

There is no VIN plate on a DRZ frame so there is nothing to move over. The VIN is stamped into the frame down the head stock. If these numbers have been tampered with in any way your bike will fail when presented for MOT. If the frame number on your bike does not match the VOSA records you will fail your MOT when presented, and also be un-insured in the event of a future claim.

Seriously..., don't mess around with the VIN number. Get it registered as changed with VOSA and then you might want to tell your insurance company but say it was a cosmetic upgrade and not due to accident damage.:busted:

Thanks for all of your replies, I have taken note of them.

I will start a new thread on Saturday picturing the damage and documenting the rebuild.

:busted:

pm me ive got yokes , bars , master cylinder ect ect need to look what else. 20 hrs what a joke.

After my crash I just can't see you causing this much damage at 15mph...do you have pics? I'm not callijg you a liar but I have to see it to believe it

Maybe...I mean I was going 40 and got hit by a car going roughly 7-10 so 50? Total force and his bike in words blows mine away in damage