What class for harescrambles

Hi. I have been wanting to run harescrambles for a while and I think I am finally gona do a couple NETRA races next year. I just would like to know what class to register in. Originally I was thinking open c, but after riding with my neighbor over the weekend who has been riding for 30 years and beating him in the woods I think open b might not be so bad. Also, I've been watching a bunch of c-class videos and it really doesnt seem like they're going all that good. I know the camera looks slower than actual, but damn i hope I can go faster than that!:busted: I have been riding since I was 6 and am 18 now. I ride a wr400f. I just don't want to be a sand bagger in c or get embarrassed in b. Any suggestions?

Ride C class you would be surprised how good some C riders are. NEdirtbikes.com would be a better place to ask questions about races.

I agree with yz250f4rider. Sign up for a C class and if you smoke them all you know you are ready for the B class.

If you go look at some of the race series and look at the event timing you will see that the top 5 C class riders are running top 10 B class times.

Try C for a race, might get a trophy! I know when I raced in C, I got annoyed racing in C, because of all the slower B class riders start in front of you and the tracks are pretty one lined. Feels like you follow slower riders for half the race. B class they spread out faster, easier to pass IMO. Either way they are a blast, hare scrambles are the best racing. Show up, race, leave... not an entire day to get 30 mins of seat time like motocross.

There are riders in C class that are better the B class riders. So you would not be only sand bagger even if your as good as you think you are. If you ride B class your pretty much guaranteed to get whooped. An 18 year old beating someone who has been riding 30 years( meaning hes at least 35) is no impressive feat, and your not considering the fact that hare-scrambles are a 2hr balls to the wall event. Its alot different then trial riding with 1 or 2 people.

Don't the youtube videos fool you. I thought the same exact thing before my first race (meaning we probably watch the same videos) and they were guys much faster then me who just didn't want to deal with the b class competition. Not saying that B class is huge jump, just that C class isn't just a bunch of schmucks.

Many young C riders like yourself are a lot faster than older B and A riders. If you are fast than you will move right through the C's. And like someone else stated, racing is a helluva lot different than trail riding. Good luck!!!

If you think you might be a B rider then enter B.Nobody likes a sandbagger so dont do it.Your way better of taking a spanking like a man than irritating the regulars by taking a trophy the first race only to move up.

... you will see that the top 5 C class riders are running top 10 B class times.

The definition of sandbagging...:busted:

Try C class, then you will know if you need to move up. There is more to learn than you realize.

Don't worry about the regulars, you pay your money, you take your chances.

HS are usually 2 hours long.

If you aren't regularly riding fast for that long, you might want to start with C.

I was real fast 30 years ago, too.

Alright so here's the deal, I know I'm not as fast as I think I am, and I also know that racing is different. with harescrambles I figured that if you can keep good pace you'd be in good shape. So it appears what I have to do to see how I compare is get ahold of a helmet cam. I know i nice long loop that I can do that will simulate part of a race. Then I'll post it to hear your opinions. If this fails to answer my question then I'll just enter my first race as open c and see what happens. Thanks for all of the replies!

i never raced and thinking off racing first time in a month were the season starts and my approach is not to see the race in a competitive manner first time racing just to get the feel from the envirorment being so different.....eventhough i enjoy aggressive trail riding and enjoy when things get competitive

Another thing your not taking into account is that hares scramble videos are of people who usually never been on that track before and have basically no idea whats around the corner or fastest route, thats why it looks like there going slow. If you want to simulate your hare scramble you really have to go to track and see you pace when you have no idea where you going...

Either way your still over thinking this. Just start off in C class like everyone else and have fun.

Alright so here's the deal, I know I'm not as fast as I think I am, and I also know that racing is different. with harescrambles I figured that if you can keep good pace you'd be in good shape. So it appears what I have to do to see how I compare is get ahold of a helmet cam. I know i nice long loop that I can do that will simulate part of a race. Then I'll post it to hear your opinions. If this fails to answer my question then I'll just enter my first race as open c and see what happens. Thanks for all of the replies!

Whatever.

There is a 20 mile loop near my house. It takes a card carrying fast "A" rider 1:15 to complete. It takes me 1:30 and I'm a solid "C" rider. You can't tell that from a video.

Just go have fun. You'll know your place AFTER the first hour.

my first race i tried hang up near the front and realized i kinda sorta could! about 5thish, but then the 10 minute mark hit anddddd i ran out of endurance! then boom 11th out of 15... either way, i won because i survived it!

Edited by yammablue22

I never grudge a guy one race to figure it out,cause I'm not that serious.Most guys will get in the right class the second race.Its the guy that takes 3 first place trophies before he moves up that is irritating,or the guy that races one race and never comes back.C is a good place to start if you're a good rider.I started racing in 08 and it's just now that I'm C speed.2 hours is a long time with all the excitement and adrenaline.Have fun.

Another thing your not taking into account is that hares scramble videos are of people who usually never been on that track before and have basically no idea whats around the corner or fastest route, thats why it looks like there going slow. If you want to simulate your hare scramble you really have to go to track and see you pace when you have no idea where you going...

Either way your still over thinking this. Just start off in C class like everyone else and have fun.

This is a very good point. Also to add to this, the guy in front of you will typically be on the good line, so in order to pass him you'll have to take an alternate line. Enter as a "C" and it will be apparant where you are. Consider yourself lucky because in my Ama district, you have to start off in C and do well in at least 5 races before you can move to B. :busted:

Dude it doesn't work that way. I can run my practice tracks more comfortable which makes for faster lap times. Things happen at races... almost impossible to "simulate" a race. Run open-c and at the end of your race compare your laptimes to the b-class, you might be surprised. If you have never raced it is impossible to "sand-bag" you really don't know till you try.

• Like 1

lol go c I am about the same age and just started this year my first race I thought I was going to show up and be famous or something lol I raced c anyways..after finishing 18th of 30 I was glad I didn't race the b lol goodluck

yeah bro, ive been riding since i was 8, i am 45 now. i still run the c classes. you will be very surprised at how fast some of those guys are. alot of them are squids too so be careful of that to. However, if you run open b there wont be as many riders to contend with, they will be alil faster but about half of them than in c-classes. donbt worry bout sandbagging, you gotta start somewhere! about being embarassed, shoot everybody is having fun so dont worry bout thast either!!!