Sign in to follow this  

which body armor?

hey lads. i recently gave up the tar track racing and bought a wr250. being having loads a fun since and all sorted now. hitting the dirt each sunday and forrest and beach any chance i get.

this morning a got my leatt neck brace and a leatt vest to match.http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php/choose-your-sport/mx/leatt-chest-protector

but dont like the motocross style vest so returned it and want a more all covering body armor suit. like this leatt one, http://www.leatt-brace.com/index.php/choose-your-sport/mx/leatt-body-protector-adventure

only thing is, coming from road racing i prefer a more traditional style back protector. so the leatt isnt really what i want.

so my question is which is the best alternative and which are able to fit the leatt brace? thanks great website have all my free mods done now too :busted:

I wear a tekvest.... made for snowmobile racing... they can hold up to a 600+lb machine, a dirt bike is nothing for them. "Freestyle" on the dirt, i've got a big beefy sno-x race vest for snowmobiling.

A bit more $$, and a bit on the warm side... but, it's also the most comfortable+protective armor I own.

Covers back, shoulders, sides, chest. The newer ones are designed for neck braces, older ones will probably fit since they've got pretty big neck holes.

P9250162.jpg

thanks for the welcome guys and the info. what i want is a suit that will hold the neck brace in place and take it away from my throat while keeping it planted on my shoulders surely there is a set up that does this. i like the astar stuff since i really tested all their gear on the tar and its never let me down

ha really like this neverr heard that before 'Crazy, not stupid | "Helmets make it hard to hear natural selection calling"'

Velocity Gear Juggernaut is what I wear under my jersey now.

I had EVS elbow pads and a roost gaurd but.......in no way is it the same sport.

http://www.highvelocitygear.com/JuggernautBodyArmor.html

I will warn you, it takes every bit as long as they say it will when ordering it.......expect 6 weeks because it's made for YOU when you order it. I was less than impressed with the lack of response I got when waiting for any kind of update but after reading on ADV forum and here.......it seemed pretty standard to wait it out. I'm glad I did because it is a work of beauty. Fits like the proverbial glove and while I have yet to crash test it, it sure feels like it would do everything I expect it to. The part that sold me was the removable back protector (it will come apart for a stand alone unit) so that I can use that when taking the pavement track bike out. I would also say the sizing runs right where they say it will. A wonderful peice of gear and supporting the "little guy" in the process.

I had EVS elbow pads and a roost gaurd but.......in no way is it the same sport.

I will warn you, it takes every bit as long as they say it will when ordering it.......expect 6 weeks because it's made for YOU when you order it. I was less than impressed with the lack of response I got when waiting for any kind of update but after reading on ADV forum and here.......it seemed pretty standard to wait it out. I'm glad I did because it is a work of beauty. Fits like the proverbial glove and while I have yet to crash test it, it sure feels like it would do everything I expect it to. The part that sold me was the removable back protector (it will come apart for a stand alone unit) so that I can use that when taking the pavement track bike out. I would also say the sizing runs right where they say it will. A wonderful peice of gear and supporting the "little guy" in the process.

+1

I've had one of these for years....great product!!

I'm an ex road racer myself and wanted some more back protection.

I picked up the Fox version which is really comfortable I can't even tell I'm wearing it. The only thing I have to experiment with is how my Leatt will fit with it. I mostly use my Leatt for moto but want to start wearing it in the woods. I'm going riding this weekend and will try it out.

On another note do you use the straps that come with the Leatt to hold it in place?

The Fox body armor:

http://shop.foxhead.com/store/products/Roost-Deflectors/detail/Titan-Sport-Jacket/24461/cat20052?categoryNavIds=cat20006%3Acat20026

wow really like the look of them both and especially that they both deal with shoulder blade cover. im swaying towards the fox since i wouldnt have to wait. local dealer can have one tomorrow. only thing is both look very like what i have and dont allow room for the leatt. im amazed as its such a popular product. havent field tested the leatt but yeah i set it up using the straps. too much movement otherwise if ya crashed imo. the only one i have found that looks like it will work as i want is the astar bionic thats designed for their brace.

this is so strange to me im a trained industrial designer but now work as a nurse so iv a bit of knowledge in both subjects. i find it very strange that for the 'new' word in safety that not all products have being designed with its use in mind. i have to admit i bought the leatt first and then began reading the debates between the pros and cons. so im half thinking of making my own suit from parts or buying the astar. i recon some easy made velco straps could fix it in place as the astar brace is attached to their suit.

Everything said here x 100 plus the fact that it has a lifetime warranty that allows you to replace it for 50% of the cost when it wears out. You can't beat that!!!!!!!! From what I've learned, they're also the only company to get the CE level 2 certification on the back board as well....

yeah its a class suit

http://www.highvelocitygear.com/Jugg...BodyArmor.html

and i would have went for it.

however, it doesnt allow for the neck brace. decided to get the astar bionic bns suit and now that the brother is taken the leatt ( now that his wife decided it would be a great present for christmas) i ordered the astar brace too :busted: happy days!! leatt is sold :busted:

i like the collar bone issue being addressed by the astar and that its lower profile front allows for the common 'tuck and role' as well as the break away rear which for me having worked in industrial design is the forgotten factor in so many of us walking away from traditionally fatal accidents in cars and bikes and such. i know its a different situation but the fact remains that the use of specific weak points in design are better than choosing the users less vital bone and muscle mass as the sacrificial link in the chain for the sake of product longevity . i know both products have being said to break collar bones but the fact is we all enjoy a stupidly dangerous sport and iv broken plenty bones over the years. the funny thing is, even though iv gone over the bars at over 100mph my neck was never a worry i had until i put on some mx boots.

interestingly had a chat with the sisters other half and he told me all his fellow doctors here in ireland feel the neck brace would be proven to cause a lot of harm in smaller crashes while feel it most likely it would help in a large crash. so only option in wearing it is too go big or go home. the good thing is il have both braces to look at and both to trial and compare so il let you know what me and the brother think of them. thanks for the info

decided to get the astar bionic bns suit and now that the brother is taken the leatt ( now that his wife decided it would be a great present for christmas) i ordered the astar brace too :busted: happy days!! leatt is sold :busted:

interestingly had a chat with the sisters other half and he told me all his fellow doctors here in ireland feel the neck brace would be proven to cause a lot of harm in smaller crashes while feel it most likely it would help in a large crash. so only option in wearing it is too go big or go home. the good thing is il have both braces to look at and both to trial and compare so il let you know what me and the brother think of them. thanks for the info

Good choice, got the Astars combo myself.

About a month ago, guy I was riding with went down wide open in 4th. Was wearing a Leatt, still broke the first 2 verts in his neck. He'd be paralyzed or dead if he wasn't wearing that brace.

has anyone any ideas or rationale as to why so many necks get broken in off road riding compared to road and track racing ? it really isnt as common.

yeah i do think the leatt is flawed design wise. and do find it strange their determined to keep milking an old idea rather than being seen to evolve the concept. behaviour like that kills a comapny as they historically fall behind. its much better in our sport to be seen as a progressive company willing to drop old ideas for more proven and developed concepts on an original product.

got the atar set up this morning and couldnt be happier with it. im amazed that leatt dont simply market a more brittle easier to break strut than the one on the back. sell it as a new add on to your existing brace and be done with that over engineered bit of carbon fibre. that would make it as good as the astar again if not better. that my view looking at both anyway.

has anyone any ideas or rationale as to why so many necks get broken in off road riding compared to road and track racing ? it really isnt as common...

I think it has something to do with gravity :busted:

ha iv often landed on my head from high in the sky. at speeds that no crosser see's. i just find it strange an air bag kit hasnt being developed be fairly easy. being rolling around the floor wearing the astar set up and most admit i feel it will cause more opening of the throttle :busted: