Sign in to follow this  

New trials bikes

Both are great news, and both look neat!

I have really been looking forward to an electric trials bike, there's a few different ones nearing (or now, in,) production.

What bothers me is they don't have clutches. The pics on the Gas Gas website show basically a bare left hand bar, but cell phone pics from the public launch today in Milan show a standard master cylinder with what I assume are wires coming out of a pressure switch.

It is possible they have interlocked the motor controller (simple matter to do this) to only allow drive if you let go of the clutch. Seems wise, and a good way to emulate the feel of a "real" bike.

However, even though an electric motor makes max torque at zero revs, it still will come nowhere close to the instantaneous drive of a flywheel spinning at 10,000 rpm!

Come to think of it the way I ride I would likely be better off with the former.

funny - I went through the same thought process on the e-bike. Will have to ride one, but going into it - would think you need a clutch for some of the established trials techniques.

I found a german magazine article about the new electric gas gas (an actual test!) that I had to somewhat manually translate from the pdf into google, and the part that talked about it was a little unclear. Sounded like maybe they would be having the option to retrofit something, perhaps that is what is seen on the bike at the euro show.

The Red Bull "silent" trials video with Adam Raga on this bike does not show him doeing anything that would be considered and "Advanced" technique. No Zaps, splatters, etc.

So... we'll wait and see I guess.

Edited by jonny042
clarity

If I'm still remembering german right, they said it has about the power of a 125, and when he was riding it he only got 30 or 45 minutes of battery life. Still better then the other electric bikes to come out so far, besides maybe the ktm.

Too quiet. But maybe in the 6 months since that ride they added a clutch.

Maybe some baseball cards in the spokes?

Maybe some baseball cards in the spokes?

I was thinking more along the lines of a nitro rc motor tied into the same throttle.