Sign in to follow this  

2003 CR250, what forks?

I am a KTM guy.. Dont shoot me :busted:

My buddy has a 03 CR250, bike is in better than showroom floor condition in all areas except it has leaking fork seals. I mean to the point where cleaning them out would be hopeless plus its lost enough fork oil now that we need to drain and refill to the correct levels in order for it to perform correctly. So I have a couple questions as I am his go to mechanic friend and I have never worked on CR stuff before.

1. what forks does this bike have? 48mm? 50mm? Twin camber? Open camber? showa? WP? KYB?

2. What amount of fork oil does it need or would you recommend for trail riding? I can measure in mm from the top of the outter tube if its OC or amount of cc's or ml if needed..

thanks for the help.

47mm inverted Showa cartridge fork with 16-position rebound and 16 position compression damping adj. Usually, 320-350cc's depending on if the rider likes the suspension hard or soft. I can't remember exactly what the measurment is from the top of the fork tube to the oil. I want to think it was 100mm, but I'm really not sure and I dont' have a book handy to look for you.

They are closed cartridge 47mm Twin Chamber Showa's. You can't measure the outer chamber oil level, you add a certain volume to each fork depending on rider weight, terrain, etc. For instance, a 180lb woods rider, I'd put in about 350ccs per leg, for moto 370ccs to 375ccs per leg.

They are closed cartridge 47mm Twin Chamber Showa's. You can't measure the outer chamber oil level, you add a certain volume to each fork depending on rider weight, terrain, etc. For instance, a 180lb woods rider, I'd put in about 350ccs per leg, for moto 370ccs to 375ccs per leg.

Thanks for clarifing. I'm not much of a suspension guy, but I knew I wasn't too far off and I hate when these posts don't get replies. I won't answer if I don't know. They ususally need a jump start to get replies. Thank you!

thanks a lot guys.. This info was exactly what I needed to know.. Found the video online on how to do the fork seals and oil change. Got it swapped out last night and put in 350cc. Bike is ready for the woods again.. Appreciate the help!