Sign in to follow this  

Mexican Ins SCAM ?

Ok i just wanted to share my experience that i just went through with "insant mexico ins". I will not say that this is not my fault because in all the years ive been racing in mexico i have never really read the "fine print" on my policies but never the less here is what happen to me. Ive have Almost always either stopped by or went online to the SCORE recomended instant mex ins at the border and purchased my poilicies. so without going into a long story, i was down in Ensanada on a family fun trip and our 09 Ford Expedition was run into in the parking lot of our hotel sometime in the middle of the night. Called the adjuster and he was there right away which was great and off we go. Heres where the nightmare begins trying to deal with thier office in TJ. after literally faxing my estimates that i got back here in the states 15 times because they "didnt get it", it finaly got to them. After about a month and a half of promised return phone calls and or emails which i received "0" i finaly got a reply. so here is where it gets fishy and this is where i should have read the fine print. The first settlement they sent was descent but even after the $500 deductable it was going to cost me another $500 out of pocket which i finalt accepted after trying to work it out to no avail. Then they send me another settlemnt offer because they supposidly messed up on the "labor cost" and now instead them paying $36 per hour for labor now thier only paying $10 per hour because that is the going rate in TJ. so when i pushed then to pay me the original settlement that i had in writing and we both agreed to, they said Pack sand and you will except it at the $10 per hour or nothing at all. So to make a long story longer this deal ended up costing me $1500.00 of the $2200.00 estimate after the $500.00 deductable and that is the deal on that. So let me just say that if you dont pay attention to the fine print of how they pay for damages then you might want to start. the only other insurance ive ever dealt with that was beyond legit was GNP and they were awesome. i purchased it directly through AAA and they are for real. :busted:

What do you expect dealing with Mexicants.

Nearly all of the small insurance companies that line the border, and many of the larger ones, do business exactly in this fashion. When I travel in Baja I purchase insurance for only one reason - to stay out of jail in case I'm involved in an accident, and even this is not guaranteed.

Start feeling lucky, rub your palms together, AND ROLL THE DICE BABY, YOU'VE JUST ENTERED MEXICO!

Don't get us started on the Instant Mex Insur company...:busted: An issue Nov.'05 didn't get resolved until ~June '06, way too many phone calls, zero help from Instant, a serious game of hard-ball, and eventually us getting on SCOREs arse because Instant was the "offical" insurance of SCORE. WAJ!

We got what we wanted in the end.

Now of course we only use Baja Bound Insurance, helps when I know where they live (should it ever come to that).

I have had State Farm since I was 16 and have never been screwed over. My wife likes to remodel her cars every once in a while and the insurance always comes through

x2

Start feeling lucky, rub your palms together, AND ROLL THE DICE BABY, YOU'VE JUST ENTERED MEXICO!

I think I have used GNP thru AAA as well, but have used Baja Bound the last several times. Sometimes you just never know what you really have to work with unless you are in an accident and need it.

I use Bajabouund Insurance located in San Diego. No, they are not part of Bajabound moto tours, but the main guy is BBM's cousin. Anyway, I was in an accident last year after the 1000. The adjuster and all in Baja was handled well although the adjustor said that I had a double deductible since I rear ended someone and then someone rear ended me - 2 separate accidents in their opinion. Since they happened simultaneously, I disputed that. Anyway got the truck back home and the insurance sent an estimator, they then tried to total(to my surprise)my truck since the damage was 60% of value insured. Lesson - always insure for full retail value, even of a used vehicle, not low blue book.

Bottom line - Bajabound Insurance was with me every step of the way and negotiated a very satisfactory settlement. They always returned my calls. I had the truck repaired this side of the border and spent a little extra to do it just right. The insurance check covered most of it and I will ALWAYS use Bajabound Insurance. You might save save a few instant dollars at the border, but you get what you pay for.

Ditto to BajaBound - which sells policies from reputable insurance companies like Ace Seguros, HDI Seguros, etc...

Years ago, I went camping at Playa Saldamando and after a night of popping percocets and drinking wine, my dipshit friend decided to go spin donuts in a dirt field next to our campground. He over-corrected and dumped his Nissan Pathfinder into a ditch, bending the front a-arm into the chassis. The car was rendered inoperable and we were stuck. After a quick call to the insurance company (a policy which was bought through BajaBound), an adjuster drove up from Ensenada and helped arrange a towtruck up to Tijuana. From there we had to make separate arrangements to get a tow truck to take the Pathfinder back into the states. The insurance policy covered the tow truck to Tijuana as well as a majority of the cost of repairing his Pathfinder.

Moral of the story - don't drive after taking percocets and drinking wine and purchase your insurance through a reputable company like BajaBound.

Edited by Justin Hambleton

Ok i just wanted to share my experience that i just went through with "insant mexico ins". I will not say that this is not my fault because in all the years ive been racing in mexico i have never really read the "fine print" on my policies but never the less here is what happen to me. Ive have Almost always either stopped by or went online to the SCORE recomended instant mex ins at the border and purchased my poilicies. so without going into a long story, i was down in Ensanada on a family fun trip and our 09 Ford Expedition was run into in the parking lot of our hotel sometime in the middle of the night. Called the adjuster and he was there right away which was great and off we go. Heres where the nightmare begins trying to deal with thier office in TJ. after literally faxing my estimates that i got back here in the states 15 times because they "didnt get it", it finaly got to them. After about a month and a half of promised return phone calls and or emails which i received "0" i finaly got a reply. so here is where it gets fishy and this is where i should have read the fine print. The first settlement they sent was descent but even after the $500 deductable it was going to cost me another $500 out of pocket which i finalt accepted after trying to work it out to no avail. Then they send me another settlemnt offer because they supposidly messed up on the "labor cost" and now instead them paying $36 per hour for labor now thier only paying $10 per hour because that is the going rate in TJ. so when i pushed then to pay me the original settlement that i had in writing and we both agreed to, they said Pack sand and you will except it at the $10 per hour or nothing at all. So to make a long story longer this deal ended up costing me $1500.00 of the $2200.00 estimate after the $500.00 deductable and that is the deal on that. So let me just say that if you dont pay attention to the fine print of how they pay for damages then you might want to start. the only other insurance ive ever dealt with that was beyond legit was GNP and they were awesome. i purchased it directly through AAA and they are for real. :busted:

This is a good thread on here. Lately I have been using the quick border insurance going into Tecate. Occasionally, I admit to rolling the dice and not insuring my truck, if I go down to RSV for a day ride only. If going for more than 1 day, I'll generally use BajaBound Ins. Never had an accident, but this makes me want to use the 'sure thing'. Ins Broker in the US that uses solid insurance agencies in MX. BajaBound Ins. can also sell you yearly policies as well. Easy choice when you can order from your computer at home...

I have been using Brenies Mex Ins from Rosarito,for over 20 years.Not ever had to use it.Anybody ever deal with them.What are you guys paying for your Ins by day?By the year for two DLs any car you drive its 88.00 year.Would be nice to know if its good.

Glad I just read this! I have always used Instant but have never had to make a claim so just didn't know. Leaving this weekend so will check with my insurance agent to see what he recommends.

Whatever you take to Mexico be prepared to walk away. I won't even begin to tell my story, let's just say dirt road, accident, jail, pay, court, pay more and never got AnyThing from my insurance. Read the fine print once you hit the dirt your insurance is useless! I insure myself every year for Mexico and the main vehicle I use.

It's been quite a while, but I used to get instant insurance from the place at the Tecate border crossing. Got rear ended at a stop in Tecate. Happened to be Policia there to witness. He had us follow him to the station, which at that time was filled with fans blowing curtains out of open windows, typewriters galore and reeking with the smell of cigarettes.......thought I fell into a Mexican version of Dragnet, but I digress.

After hanging around the station for about four hours, the adjuster arrived from TJ, we told him the story and we were off. He said send three estimates and they would reimburse me. Well.....I dragged my feet getting the estimates and they started calling me looking for them. So, got my shiat together and found the most expensive places in town and got 'er done. Less than a week after sending the estimates, I received a check for payment in full for the highest estimate. Best service I've ever had for just about anything. This was before computers......all snail mail and land lines!

Maybe they were just glad we weren't filing for "whiplash" and trying to get us done. That said......I use Baja Bound now.

I'm pretty sure that in the states, State Farm is "like a good neighbor" but down south south, not so much. Just a hunch.

I have had State Farm since I was 16 and have never been screwed over. My wife likes to remodel her cars every once in a while and the insurance always comes through

Great thread CK1. Sorry bout your drama but thanks for speaking up on it. We were just about to buy an annual policy through Instant. But will now BOYCOTT Instant (just cuz). I think I'll go with Baja-Mex.com recommended by BAJA Pits and realize that we are really carrying the insurance for the liability coverage and not the collision or comp as much.

Brett F makes a great point that your not covered if you are blitzing the off road

well i can tell you that i will never buy from Instant again and i hope no one else buys from them again either. without a doubt the most unprofessional people ive ever dealt with. I just bought a Bajabound policy and it looks awesome and it was a great deal. i will use them from now on.:busted:

I'm pretty sure that in the states, State Farm is "like a good neighbor" but down south south, not so much. Just a hunch.

Your probably right. I know I'm good up in Canada but never had a need to check on Mexico

Mexico is a long way from Illinois and I have no desire to go there

bumpity bump.

I have a liability policy through Mexinsur (Bonita Road and 805) - bought in blocks and you would notify them which days you would use it. Piece of mind policy if you only want liability.

I just got a new truck and liability only isn't going to cut it. Been getting year round quotes of around $500. Any suggestions on year round or a policy where you get X amount of days per year?

Its now the law that you have to have liability coverage in BAJA, right?

BAJA-MEX is hooked up with BAJA PITS and we are going with them and saying goodbye to INSTANT.