Sign in to follow this  

Removing gasoline smell from riding gear!!!

This weekend on the way to the track, my gas tank tipped over and totally soaked all of our riding gear. Needless to say, the smell has permeated the clothes, even after two washings. Any "proven" tricks to remove the odor? I already washed them once after an overnite vinegar soak and again after a wash with Simple Green....

Mark

"I love the smell of napalm in the morning." Oops, wrong movie.

A long soak in something designed to dissolve petroleum distillates is probably great advice. But hey, all my stuff smells like oil and gas after awhile and I've never been bothered by it. I ain't going fine-dining in it.

Bumping this back from the dead...

I got premix on my riding pants today and just pulled them out go their 3rd cycle in the washer. They still smell like gas, and my wife is convinced that it will make all our wash smell bad...

They're outside airing out with the rest of the load, if overnight outside doesn't help I'm about to burn $250 worth of clothes. Help?!

-Tom

Simple orange, diet coke, and vinegar. Gallon jug of vinegar, 2 litter of diet coke, about a regular laundry soap scoop of simple orange. Dilute with water to 2/3rds full in a 5 gallon bucket. Add clothes and soak for a couple hours. Then wash. Wife said she added extra simple orange with laundry soap. That worked on diesel fuel that soaked jeans, flannel and coat.

Edited by trailrydr9

We always used dawn dish soap and soak them a while.

Yep, a bucket of water, loaded with Dawn dish soap, a good soaking, and rinse out Dawn with a hose. Edited by bowhunter007