Sign in to follow this  

Any utility models to avoid

My folks are about to buy a utility type 4 wheeler for their land..they want a decent amount of power (250cc+) bulletproof reliability. They currently have a mid 90s Kawi Bayou 300 that gets the job done and they want a second 4 wheeler. They might want a 4X4, but its not a requirement. Any suggesions for under $2000? Any models to avoid?

Thanks

if u want a bullet proof quad go honda on that note dont buy a polaris older the 2005 they are know to have a large list of problem mind u I had a 1995 polaris 350L and never had any problems with it. but a honda would be your best bet IMO

a buddy had a trail boss 300 and he had problems with the transmission it would kick it self out of low when he was ideling down hills happend more then once and i also seen a guy have to ride his quad out with a tree under one side because rear axle on one side broke off just seems to me i have seen and read more bad things then good

I agree 100% with T-Cat. Honda TRX300 Fourtrax, Rancher 350 or Foreman 400/450 models all the way! They are built like anvils.

As for the older Polarises, don't do it. While the newer ones are much improved, the old ones were constantly burning up belts if worked hard, and the older 4WD models actually used chains front and rear for final drives versus much more reliable, lower maintenance shaft drives found on all their competitor's machines.

I'm very happy with my new (to me) '06 Yamaha Bruin 350 4x4... I bought it as a backup and for guests to use when we head out in my Ranger. Dead simple and reliable. I paid $2500.