Sign in to follow this  

PW 50: Should I buy it?

I'm looking to rebuild a pw50 for my nephew on the relative cheap. A local guy has one that he says needs tires, a driveshaft, and a carb. It doesn't run. What should I look for that makes this a complete no-go, or is it already. If it's worth buying, what should I offer?

I want to spend no more than 300-400 when all is said and done. I'll be doing the work myself, but I'm newer to bikes so this will be my first major project. I just got done bringing a TTR-250 back from the dead. That's most of my experience.

Since it "needs a carb", it doesn't run and the drive shaft is missing? broken? it's nearly impossible to diagnose any "run away" problems with the bike other than cracked frame or severely messed up suspension issues.

You'd need to post some photos or something to give us a better idea, but unless you're getting this for $100, you probably want to pass.

I usually see PW50s going for $500-700 in this area.

If you know someone in the central PA area who would be coming your way, I'd seriously consider having them look at this one: http://reading.craigslist.org/mcy/2691645720.html

Note, that's an incredible price.

Also, unless you're looking to give this as an Xmas gift, I'd hold out till after the holidays. I realize it's a lot warmer where you are than where I am, but I think you'll find a better project if you wait a bit. People will demand and many will pay a premium for kiddie bikes this month and next.

But if you're getting it for $100, you should be able to at least recoup that by parting it if it's too much for you. The key is to know when to stop.

One last note. Dave's? USA in Homasassa FL, stay away from that dump. Bugger sent me a "running" motor with the wrong size piston in the cylinder and a toasted crank.

yea the scalper dealer around here sold the one i traded in recently for 900 that was in pretty decent shape, i see them all the time on craigslist for 400 500 in running order, and they look pretty clean on top of it!

you can always buy a new one for $800 and not have to worry about any issues from a previous owner.

You will have say, $100 in new tires with tubes. The carb may just need cleaned. It shouldn't need a driveshaft unless it is missing. Pictures would help. I paid $350 for a running one that needed a cable replaced.

Check the steering head bearings. If they are loose it needs new ones. Comes from letting big kids ride them hard.

I would pass on one in that condition. These are step up bikes, so many of them are barely ridden. We bought one for $600 and the thing was NEW. I don't mean from the dealer but from a family who bought it for a daughter who rode it a handful of times. All the little spiky things on the tires were still there, had training wheels on it.... NEW. Don't waste time and $ messing with a beat one, it's simply not worth it when others are to be had cheap and easy.