tips to help maintain focus on race

I have found that sometimes during an enduro race that my mind wanders from the business of "racing as hard as I can" to racing on "autopilot" with my mind humming a tune I heard on the radio before the race or the details of the argument I had with the wife or anything but what I should be thinking about. Has anyone experienced "mind wander" and racing on autopilot? What can I do to re-center my focus on 100 % racing? :busted:

You are not riding hard enough.

My experience is that if your mind wanders its because you have time to think about something else.

Pick up the pace, think about your lines, where you are putting your tires, and most importantly, are you balanced and centered at all times.

I used to have this problem. Races would slowly turn into trail rides until I was watching the pretty birds in the trees and wondering if I put enough beer in the fridge.

The suggestions listed in previous posts are dead on, you need to ride harder.

I’ve been riding for 30+ years and can’t even imagine my mind even wandering while doing it. In fact, that’s one of the reasons I enjoy it so much; it takes my mind off anything that doesn’t occupy about a 10’ x 40’ space in front of me.

I concur with the previous comments; make sure your health insurance premiums are paid, apply more speed and ride terrified. :busted:

On a related note, when I felt I was riding well, I would say to myself:

"Wow, I'm really ripping it up today!"

or something like that.

This was usually just before I hit a tree.

Now if I feel like congratulating myself, I don't.