Sign in to follow this  

xr600r NC registration help?

I recently bought a 1986 xr600r that I want to try to street-legalize in North Carolina. Little did I realize that is easier said than done. My biggest issue is that the bike's VIN number is gone, and I don't have a title or MSO. Is there any hope of getting this thing on the road? Maybe a salvage title? I just have no idea even where to start.

Thanks in advance,

Lucas

Seems a bit crazed if all they rely on for you to register the bike is a vin plate..I'm assuming you guys mean the small alloy plate with the numbers on it.,,Do they check those numbers against the actual stamped on engine and frame numbers or not in NC..,,Swapping a vin plate rounds just a matter of removing a couple of rivets..,if they don't match its numbers to the stamped engine and frame what use is it looking at a vin plate as a form of bike id..??,,they don't even check engine numbers down here any more when you try and plate a bike,,idiocy really as you could be running a stolen engine and no one would be the wiser..The frame they do , even though those numbers on the steering stem are a real pain to read,,there again they're easy enough to grind and restamp or dremel should you be criminally inclined or just sick of bureaucratic nonsense..

Edited by Horri

Basically, I need the VIN to put on the application for a title. Once I submit that and get a title, I can add dual sport stuff and hopefully register it. However, it looks like someone popped the VIN plate off. I'm wondering if I can do a mechanic's lien or a salvage title, or whether I should just sell the thing and cry myself to sleep.

Basically, I need the VIN to put on the application for a title. Once I submit that and get a title, I can add dual sport stuff and hopefully register it. However, it looks like someone popped the VIN plate off. I'm wondering if I can do a mechanic's lien or a salvage title, or whether I should just sell the thing and cry myself to sleep.

Your not going to be able to do a lean without a vin. How are they going to identify it on the title, a red honda 650? that bike could easily be stolen, why else is the vin gone? Vin plates on these hondas dont walk off on their own.

Get a VIN plate off a scrapped XL and play dumb. "Sure it is street legal, Let me show you an old brochure."

the problem is when it has never had a title, then it has to pass a state inspector inspection, which there goona look for the vin, and i may be wrong but any tampering with a vin is against the law, and its gonna be hard to take one off a old bike and get it to look like its been on there for 20+ years

Update:

Today I asked a mechanic about the VIN, and it turns out the number is also stamped on the frame next to the VIN plate. So, I have a VIN, went to the plate agency, and was told to start the ball rolling on an indemnity bond to title it, as it's never had a title. Hope it works. Any advice?

The lady at the tag agency ran the VIN, and it appears it's never been titled and doesn't seem to be stolen. Hopefully I can get this bond thing done and get a tag on her!

best of luck to you man, its a pain, i've tried and gave up, then found my 650r out of state with a title and all was good again :busted: