Sign in to follow this  

xr400 front brake on crf fork

i m in the process of putting a 2007 crf front end on my 1997 xr400... gonna pick up the emig stem since the allballs bearing conversion is no longer available.. bottom clamp is currently having the steering stops removed by a kind mate with a mill.. should have the emig stem ordered up and pressed in the the coming weeks...

from what i ve read i understand that the front brake from my xr4 should mount up to the new fork... i ve looked and it doesn t appear to me that the bolt patterns match... do i need to remove the adaptor from the xr4 brake and fit another adaptor ?? i d prefer to use the brake i have but if all else fails then i ll pick up a used front CRF brake from fleabay...

speaking of fleabay i got a great deal on the 2007 fork... 250 shipped inc all clamps / axel / nuts etc...

stoked !

thanks for any help

KGrHqQOKnUE53D9Tk52BOhdkKGz2w_12.jpg

I put '04 crf forks on my '02 xr4 and the caliper fit. I put '08 CR forks on my '96 and the caliper did not fit so I ebayed a caliper pretty cheap and sold my stock caliper.

I ebayed a caliper pretty cheap and sold my stock caliper.

thanks cbxken... i think thats the route i ll have to go...

the caliper is the same since like 85 to current.

What changed is in 04 they went to a new caliper mount. thus you need to buy the caliper bracket for the 04+ units.

good info jjrace, thanks... do you happen to know the part # for the caliper bracket i need ??

the spacing on the XR fork is 78 mm and on the CRF fork it s 102 mm...

i guess it s either a caliper bracket from the honda dealer for $$$$$, or a used CRF brake (2004 + ) from ebay...

probabally cost about the same going on past experience at the dealer :busted:

45190-MEN-006 $75 from Motosport. Better of buying a complete setup off ebay

uh.. my 03XR650L bolted up to an 07 CRF450R forks... didn't mate with the brake rotor 100% but it worked. that said I still got the CRF brake for the extra contact

you can do a cheap swap here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1014262&highlight=

or you can get bearings here:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1010170&highlight=

I've done two USD swaps on my bikes, one with bearings, the other with the lathe. If I did it again Id go with the lathe just for ease of replacement bearings

good info...

i saw the thread about the chinese bearings... thought long and hard but decided to go with an emig stem... my xr4 bearings were shot anyway, this really prompted the whole thing... that and winter snowboarding that will keep me off the bike... ordered up an allballs bearing kit for the xr from ebay last night...

machining didn t seems like an easy way at the time but since i have found out that a workmates father has access to an awesome workshop where they build racecars... :busted: oh well, live and learn... at least he is removing the steering stops from the crf clamp at the moment...

thanks for the part # jj... looks like i m on the hunt for a 2004 + crf front brake now...