Sign in to follow this  

with 13/49 gearing will i have to cut my chain?

i am doing some stuff to my bike this week before a 3 day racing weekend (d.i.d o-ring chain,renthal sprockets,hammerhead shifter, slightly used tire reverse rotation, oil change, and oil filter.) will i have to cut the chain at all? i dont want to have to start a brand new chain with only have my adjustment left off the bat. thanks :busted:

You left out the important part...what size gearing do you currently run and what chain do you have. If you have the stock chain, 13/49 will work and you don't need to make chain longer. If you go up in teeth you wouldn't cut the chain in any case, you would make it longer. If you bought a new chain, it depends on the length you bought. I think stock is 114 or 116 if it is longer than stock, you will need to cut it.

i bought the bike with a d.i.d chain and renthal sprocket kit on it stock teeth size, i just bought the d.i.d oring chain 120 links, it says stock size is 112 on motosport.com. i always change sprockets and chain at the same time, why put a worn out chain on new sprockets? i dont know why they would sell a chain mainly made for 250 and 450s that is 8 links to long

and i just looked through all the chains they have and cant fine one thats not 120 links so i dont think its 112

Standard chains non specific to the exact model come with 120 links. If you look up the OEM chain specific to your bike it says 112 lengths. I run the 13/49 with the stock chain but have to go 2 more links if I run 13/50. So you will have to cut the 120 link chain for your application. Hope this helps.