2007 DRZ SM making loud Tick Tick Tick - with videos

So i dug my own grave ... After riding one of the big tracks here, my DRZ with 5K miles started making the dreaded loud tick noise. As i was rolling into the pits, the noise increased. I didnt ride after then ...

Here is a video

Also, a picture of the decompressor which is freely moving. Could it be noise from this?

With the top cover off, we dont seem to get that much noise. Also, cam chain tension is fine and not loose.

Also, i read about folks taking the decompressor completely off, but that was E cams and S bikes. Any suggestions? Is it just valve adjustment?

Thanks and appreciate your help ! I will never ride the big track again :busted: ... Happy with Kart Track

Edited by abhijitz

umm ... Are you hearing the tick in the background? I mean not the engine loud sound. Mine didnt hear like that when i ran the bike before this big track trackday :busted:

waiting for Eddie or William1 or Marquez to chime in please !

First 2 sec of video... NOT NORMAL.. unless the camera / microphone is some how picking up and amplifying the sound. STOP running it, that sound will not go away on it's own,, well it will, but the motor will not run any more after that.

Last time I heard that noise from a DRZ..

I found this

attachment.php?attachmentid=2920&d=1174790025

Thanks Marquez for chiming in ... The sound is almost same and not amplified by the microphone of my Android phone. It really sounds loud. That pic of yours looks really scary, hope mine is not in that situation

I spoke to Eddie a while ago and am going to send the motor to him. Hopefully, Big Boss will get it all straightened out. I cant think of living with out a DRZ, lol.

What a lesson learnt. Never going to ride the big track again ... ohh and check your oil level frequently.

Thanks Marquez for chiming in ... The sound is almost same and not amplified by the microphone of my Android phone. It really sounds loud. That pic of yours looks really scary, hope mine is not in that situation

I spoke to Eddie a while ago and am going to send the motor to him. Hopefully, Big Boss will get it all straightened out. I cant think of living with out a DRZ, lol.

What a lesson learnt. Never going to ride the big track again ... ohh and check your oil level frequently.

Come on man. That didn't happen because you were riding the big track. You realize Tom Dorsey won an AFM 250P championship on this DRZ! My buddy Alan took his DRZ out to Thill many times with no issues.

It's a motor, things will fail.

Anyways, good luck buddy on the repair.:busted:

ok, bump untill the "experts" show up.

i still feel you managed to make piston contact valve. if so that sucks, but is the reality of red lineing the engine without proper components.

hope i am wrong. but that is my 2 cents.

Think about it, would it continue to run (compression loss) if there was contact ?

sure, but the shock to the drivetrain is huge. no telling what will happen, but generally none of it is good.

the only time i personally have seen piston damage is extremly high reving 2 strokes.

coming home from some trails i have held my stock s pretty much wide open for an hour. that was a few years ago and still running fine.

if the OP is talking about a stock engine...just sayin':)

My drz is making almost the exact same noise, at first it started as a whine from the right side of the motor almost like a bearing was going out, then all of the sudden it starting making that clanging/clacking noise at idle. I thought it was a loose cam chain/valves/loose counter shaft nut. But checked all of those which look normal. I do not know what to do next besides take it into the shop to start breaking it down :busted:. I do not have the time/space/tools/skills to tear down my motor myself even though I would really like to. Any suggestions before I go spend 70/hr to figure out whats wrong?

anybody know what a stock rebuild will cost me, ballpark estimate??