Sign in to follow this  

Pirelli 120/90/19...will it fit 05 CR250??

my friend ran one of the mxms in a 120/80/19. he LOVES the damn thing, so width wise it will fit, the height i would assume would be ok depending on how far back the axles are.

too bad it starting to rip off side knobs after 1 trip to cahuilla (none gone, but you can see the tears developing). btw, this is on an 01, take my info with a grain of salt.

120/80 is 96mm tall

120/90 is 108mm tall

decent chuck of tread difference there.

120/80 is 96mm tall

120/90 is 108mm tall

decent chuck of tread difference there.

the pirelli MT16 only comes in 120/90 for the 19". and I have been reading that going from a 110 to a 120 I need to a 120/80 to keep the aspect ratio correct.

How does the aspect ratio play a part in this?

BTW

I would't mind my bike being 6mm shorter

the pirelli MT16 only comes in 120/90 for the 19". and I have been reading that going from a 110 to a 120 I need to a 120/80 to keep the aspect ratio correct.

How does the aspect ratio play a part in this?

BTW

I would't mind my bike being 6mm shorter

a 110/90 would be 99mm tall. so a 120/80 would be 3mm shorter in height, but 10mm wider in width. the profile would look similar but would have a slightly larger footprint. the 120/90 would just be a bigger tire overall.

the first number is the width in mm, the second number is a % of the width (so just take the first number and multiply by 0.8 (80%) or 0.9 (90%) to get your height in mm)

are you set on the mt16?

are you set on the mt16?

the only reason i was looking at the MT16 is that an "expert A" rider (Hare Scramble) told me that the M16 is best all around ware we ride.

I currently ride Dunlap 71 hard/int (front and rear) and the rear rides like a slick

the only reason i was looking at the MT16 is that an "expert A" rider (Hare Scramble) told me that the M16 is best all around ware we ride.

I currently ride Dunlap 71 hard/int (front and rear) and the rear rides like a slick

what type of conditions are we talking about? wet muddy nastyness? the mx71 is definitely their hard terrain tire, the mx51 would probably be a better bet than the 71 for sure as that's much more geared to intermediate terrain. still probably wouldn't do you any good though if your terrain is what I imagine it to be. I think you should be fine with fitment as were talking only a 9mm difference between a stock 110/90 and the 120/90.

does anyone know what the mt16 is called now? I know the 32 is the Mxms now.

what type of conditions are we talking about? wet muddy nastyness?

The place I ride is very extreme woods riding in the Virginia mountains. damp and slick with very tight single track and steep rutted out hills. They all say if you can ride at this place you can ride anywhere.

I'm just looking to get the best traction as possible

yea the mx71 isnt going to do you any favors in those conditions. ive heard trials tires actually work really good in that type of terrain...i have not tried that though. the pirelli mxms will work good IMO as well as the michelin s12xc. the mxms tread pattern looks almost similar to the s12 but you can get the pirelli in a 120/80 which you cant in the michelin (the mich is weirdly sized and even the 130 sized one which is suppose to be equal to other mfg 110/90 still looks smaller than that)

yea the mx71 isnt going to do you any favors in those conditions. ive heard trials tires actually work really good in that type of terrain...i have not tried that though. the pirelli mxms will work good IMO as well as the michelin s12xc. the mxms tread pattern looks almost similar to the s12 but you can get the pirelli in a 120/80 which you cant in the michelin (the mich is weirdly sized and even the 130 sized one which is suppose to be equal to other mfg 110/90 still looks smaller than that)

Anyone with more tire suggestions for Hare Scramble in Virginia mountain conditions?

The place I ride is very extreme woods riding in the Virginia mountains. damp and slick with very tight single track and steep rutted out hills. They all say if you can ride at this place you can ride anywhere.

I went through tires on three bikes. My pops (KTM 300), son (crf250r) and mine (yz250). We race the same type of woods from alabama, indiana, ill, tennessee, and kentucky. Tight, muddy, logs, roots, sand, rocky, and anything else. I have tried all the tires looking for a long lasting tire that hooks up well. I even done the trials tire with the tu bliss set up. Hooked up well except for deep mud. I only run it now for fun rides in rocky woods that tear tires down in one ride. The trials tire had a problem of breaking away on me in turns unexpected. It wasnt worth the trade off for me. The bridgestone and dunlop tires didnt last very long if I used the soft-intermediate. I tried Michelin and really loved the s12 and m12 tire. They hooked up well but were good for about 3 races one way and two after a flip. I just switched to the pirelli scorpion mx extra soft to mid and love the tire. I got a m12 and a pirelli at the same time. I gave my old man the choice between the two and we put them on at the same time. His m12 is ready for a flip after this weekends race and the pirelli is looking great. I just bought 2 more pirellis one for my 125 and one for the 450. I used to ride Mt bikes up in virginia. Awsome single track.