Sign in to follow this  

right fork seal blows out every ride...help

so i was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? the bike is a 2009 honda CRF450X. heres the story took suspension to be resprung for my weight everything looked good. go for 2 rides, blown seal. call and bitch they put another set of seals in at cost. one ride rt seal blown. so i decide to start doing my own seals, i change them same thing right seal one ride. can't see or feel any chips in lower leg. any help would be appriciated.

so i was wondering if anyone else is having this problem? the bike is a 2009 honda CRF450X. heres the story took suspension to be resprung for my weight everything looked good. go for 2 rides, blown seal. call and bitch they put another set of seals in at cost. one ride rt seal blown. so i decide to start doing my own seals, i change them same thing right seal one ride. can't see or feel any chips in lower leg. any help would be appriciated.

Are you 'setting' the front axle correctly when you re-install the front wheel?

http://www.your-adrenaline-fix.com/installing-a-front-wheel.html

If not, the forks will bind on the right side, putting extra loads on the bushing and seal.

Did they replace the bushings when you had the fork serviced?

Any knicks on the tube? Hard water spots also! We have really bad water here have to make sure they are clean. OEM seals are the only way to go IMHO.

They did not replace the bushings. i will look in to the front axle alignment. i did it the same way on my 450r and didnt have a problem. thank you guys very much.

Sometimes chips are hard to see/feel. I usually take some 600 wet/dry sand paper and polish the fork tub, any imperfections will show up.

That being said I was having the same issue and just had them rebuilt by my suspension guy, including new bushings, this weekend will be the first time out, was only getting two or three weekends out of the seals before.

They did not replace the bushings. i will look in to the front axle alignment. i did it the same way on my 450r and didnt have a problem. thank you guys very much.

For what ever reason my 450r was much easier to align then my x. One thing I overlooked was I forgot bleed the excess air out of the forks before I went through the alignment procedure. It prevented me from compressing the forks enough to get a good alignment.

Now I have the Promotion alignment tool that take all the guess work out of it. ($25)

I had a similar problem on a 250X. Seals leaked, replaced them, leaked again, then replaced seals and bushings, leaked again. I finally took it to a local suspension shop and they found a small nick with a tiny burr that was cutting the seal.

Ron

Got an 09 450x back in March...been riding harder and harder progressively. just last week right side started dripping on the floor...now the left is just as bad. have you tied the bike down and noticed more leaking than a normal ride? i am taking mine in to some Pros next week. i think the excessive abusive and the overall weight is more than honda planned on?? Maintenance is one thing but constant hard part replacement...come on!!!:busted::banghead::busted:

Same side every time? Most def an alignment problem. Who is building your forks? Torque all parts to spec and add the same amount/weight of oil to both sides. Next rebuild, check your stanchion tube run out ( sounds like a bent tube),.