Sign in to follow this  

boring my xr to 77mm can i still use stock carb?

my xr is stock bore now, with stock carb. was thinking bout going with a 77mm kit. due to my cylinder being alil scratched and needing a bore. can i still run the stock carb after i bore to 77mm? im plannin on getting the 34mm mikuni just cant afford it now.

The stock carb is just fine on the 77mm piston, just spend a couple bucks on getting the right jets. No worries while you save your money.

Thanks Red, I will do just that. You know ther is so much I wAnna do to it! I'm just wanting to get the most Bang for my bucks! In theory when you go to a larger bore dO run richer/larger jets?

it an 86 250r, yeah ive done the simple mods, snorkle, uncorked exhaust, header welds. My current jetting is 135/45. and i seems to do good it just starting to smoke and last time i pulled it down i noticed that the cyl. wall had some sratches.

Could your valves be the cause? If it was your rings wouldn't you be loosing compression? XRs especially old XRs tend to burn a little oil anyways. Is your smoke blue or white, constant or start up. Not to talk you out of a new bore or freshening your motor up. Just asking... If you do the bore then do your valves while its apart and vice/verse. Before you start look at other issues like cam chain. No sense opening it twice (although my tendencies are to keep doing it over and over so that I can use every expletive available :busted:)

I hEar ya Chief, the smoke is blue. Ya I was gunna gO ahead and do the head while it's apart and cam chain. Do you recommend replAcing cam gears too?