Sign in to follow this  

Renthal Chain Too Wide?

So I finally got a chain and sprockets. The pins on this Renthal chain must stick out a tad bit more than the original because it is hitting the case. I'm thinking my options are to either throw some sort of shim behind the sprocket to get the chain away from the case or to grind off some of the material on the case. What do you guys think?

So I messed with it some more and I got the chain on. The pins still slightly rub the case. I'm thinking I'll just run it and it'll clearance it self. One of my buddies agreed that this is a good idea. So I think if 2 people agree on something it makes it a decent idea at least? Right?

Sounds like a bad plan to me. Even O-Ring chains aren't wide enough to hit the cases on a stock bike. Perhaps you have the wrong sprocket?

A broken crank case is a lot more expensive than a few minutes to figure out what's wrong.

You probably lost the seal sleeve that goes behind the sprocket. It's a little sleeve about 1" diameter and about 1/2" wide that goes on the shaft behind the sprocket.

Pull your sprocket off and check for that sleeve. If it's missing, your sprocket will push all the way in against the case and your chain will rub. Not to mention the massive oil leak you'll have.

If the sleeve is there, compare your old sprocket and the new one. perhaps they're different.

I compared the sprocket to the stocker. I don't have any dial calipers but by looks and feel they are the same. The stocker is flat and plain while the renthal is machined to look cool and weigh less but the surfaces that matter Look and feel the same width. I flipped the sprocket both ways. One way it wouldn't go on at all and the other it went on but it still touches. And yes the sleeve is still on there, once again I don't have any dial calipers so I can't get an exact measurement but it was there when the old one came off. It is a 520 O-ring chain. The sprocket packages say they are for my bike. I don't get it. I might try to find a washer or something that will fit behind the sprocket at work and grind it down thin. It only needs like 1mm or so to clear.

So i found a washer at work, through it in the lathe and opened up the ID so it would fit over the splines. It went together, the chain clears and the nut tightened up just fine. Spins nice and smooth. Both sprockets appear to be running in the center of the chain, the rear is for sure dead nuts, the front is a little harder to see but it spins nice and isn't trying to climb off or anything.

So I ran it today at the track. Didn't have a whole lot of time, probably somewhere around 30 minutes of ride time. No issues but man this bike is just not made to have an o-ring chain. Most of the cool gold color is gone due to the sides of the chain rubbing inside the chain guide. That sucks.

u should run an x ring.its a little narrower. I just put on a pro taper x ring and i have no probs with it rubbing on cases. I have an 11 yz 250. The gold rubs off on the chain guide i believe