Sign in to follow this  

Is this bike worth the money? Quick help please!

Here's the specs...

1996 XR400

-new chain & sprockets, -1/+4

-new tires of unknown brand

-Baja Designs harness, cobbled lights, no speedo or horn

-slip on pipe

-no leaks in suspension or motor

-possible fork valve work

-possible motor work, may have a bore job but no papers to prove

-WR400 carb

- *claimed* one tank of gas run through it since '08, (has 08 gas in it), last started about a month ago with 3-4 kicks.

Cleanliness is fair, not super clean but didn't just come out of a mudhole either. Aftermarket seat cover and tank graphics. All plastic white, not faded or yellowing.

Has clean street title

Asking price is $1200.

Worth it? I do a lot of bike work and know full well that I'll have to do all the fluids, maybe a valve check and a carb clean.

What say you all?

Sounds like a fair price without seeing pics. I paid $1000 last year for a stock, clean 96. This has some extras, not crazy about "possible" though. If it is not beat and runs I would buy it. Great bikes

Thanks Ken. This would be a long distance purchase made using a friend to look the bike over for me. He a good enough judge of condition, so if he's good with condition and the thing starts/runs/goes through gears I'll likely buy it.

so if he's good with condition and the thing starts/runs/goes through gears I'll likely buy it.

Don't hold your breath. That is if he tries starting with '08 gas in it. Might start with new gas but will probably run rough due to carb being gunked up. Still tho, if it even tries to start on new gas, that's a good sign. Like you said, once you have it home it's going to take a thorough going over.

Don't hold your breath. That is if he tries starting with '08 gas in it. Might start with new gas but will probably run rough due to carb being gunked up. Still tho, if it even tries to start on new gas, that's a good sign. Like you said, once you have it home it's going to take a thorough going over.

Thanks, how much would you spend to buy this bike?

1200 seems decent to me... hard to say of course without having laid an eye on it... here in CA a plate on an xr is worth about that alone !! dunno what it s like where you live but here plated xr's are gold...

i paid 1500 for this bike earlier in the year... 97

2011-06-03_14-52-51_749.jpg

Looks like I got it for $1100. :busted:

Had a friend check it out. It started, ran, rode good, etc. I gave him a checklist to go through and all looked good except the electrical/lighting situation.

Tires are new Trackmaster 2's. No suspension leaks. Pipe has "XR Competition" tag... anyone know what brand this is/know anything about them?

I don't think it has an upgraded stator or BD harness now because the system has a battery in it. 2 little headlights that are probably foglights, 2 regular front turn signals, and an led integrated taillight. No horn... will have some work to do to pass NY inspection, but the title is good so that's a big relief!

I haven't confirmed the make of the carb yet, but it's definitely not stock. The stock carb is in a box that comes w/ the bike. :busted: