Sign in to follow this  

06 bike decision question

thinking about an 06 450 for off road. im a top 10 b class rider and im wondering without the 5th gear how would that be top speed wise? like on wide open trails would i be losing alot of top speed? any input would be great

I have an 06 rmz 450, gotta say thing ripps! Me and my buddy with a 2009 crf 450 on take off were side by side but he slowly halls away from my by half a bike length to a bike length, he has a few things tweeked with his bike just the same, my other buddy with a 06 crf 450 there virtually the same bike we just cant beat eachother! Thats all on paved road to btw

one of the reasons i left 2 smokers and started riding 4 thumpers is because of less shifting. i have the 2006 rmz 450 and i dont miss 5th gear at all. unless you have a stearing damper on that bike a 5th gear would be pointless. too much head shake.

Yupp I gotta say, when I first got the bike everyone told me that without a 5th gear the bike would be gutless don't know hww they would figure that but sure enough when I got it and let them try it, they loved it! it's hard to get used to from going from a 5th gear 2 stroke to a 4 gear 4 stroke but I love it

I've got to add that i use my rmz mostly for enduro and trails, ive had no problems with the 4 speed trans. But for that extra bit of speed i use 14 48 gearing.