Cool new enduro computer

Just saw a cool new enduro computer

A three dollar android app

On android market - it's called checkpoint (one word)

look for red and white enduro secret check flag as the icon

Haven't used it in a race yet, but it has cool features

and it's $3 not $300 !!

b

Don't forget... Android is an OS. It can run on tablets, phones, any kind of device.

Here's an example of Android running on rugged hardware created for military:

General-Dynamics-Itronix-GB300-Rugged-Wearable-Computer-runs-Android-in-use.jpg&sa=X&ei=S_67TqX-N6XSiALu8uDxAQ&ved=0CAwQ8wc4Wg&usg=AFQjCNFlgFTIhXVKYgfeB2C9P_psQ-7ogg

There are plenty of hardware manufacturers who will build any device with the form factor you want. The crux is doing the volume to justify going to Asia and paying up front for hardware.

I think someone could create a piece of hardware with thumb control that is tailored towards the Adventure and Dual Sport riders. A secondary use would be for enduro racing although the device would need to be able to switch from using the GPS sensor to an actual wheel sensor for measuring actual ground during enduro use.

General-Dynamics-Itronix-GB300-Rugged-Wearable-Computer-runs-Android.jpg

So, imagine a device like this, mounted to your triple clamps, with a thumb control like an ICO. It has a GPS chip and wifi. It is running Android OS. You use it on your dual sport bike with Android apps. created specifically for dual sport. You also use it on your enduro race bike with ground speed data coming in from the wheel sensor.

The beauty in the device is you aren't locked down to one piece of firmware like what comes hardcoded on an ICO or a trailtech computer. You can run any apps. you want on the device.

Edited by ThunderChicken

I'm thinking the phone just goes in a protective case.

The TrailTech devices are cool - but not cheap

But for three dollars, this does a lot, if not mounted - then in the fanny pack as a backup that you pull out on the roads before the check-ins.

I'll have to check this out. I currently use maverick when trail riding. The light version is free, and the pay version is only a couple bucks. You can record tracks, display distance, speed, average speed, time moving, time stopped, etc.

As for smashing my phone, haven't yet. If you have a $500 phone, surely you have insurance anyway. If not, well then yeah, don't try this at home. $50 is not bad to replace my phone if I smash it. I don't worry about wear on my phone, or baby it. I get a new one every 1 - 2 years anyway, so I just use the hell out of them. Currently on a droid 2. Been a pretty good one. Might go to a droid 3 or incredible 2 in the next week or so.

• 1 year later...

I see this app has been added to the iphone app store too

keeps time in enduros (basically a pacer) and only two bucks

you can enter all the resets, speed changes, free time, start time,etc

The app tells you where you should be

Need to use a separate odometer

'just' keep the odometer in sync with the app to stay on time

backfire

I'll have to check this out. I currently use maverick when trail riding. The light version is free, and the pay version is only a couple bucks. You can record tracks, display distance, speed, average speed, time moving, time stopped, etc.

As for smashing my phone, haven't yet. If you have a $500 phone, surely you have insurance anyway. If not, well then yeah, don't try this at home. $50 is not bad to replace my phone if I smash it. I don't worry about wear on my phone, or baby it. I get a new one every 1 - 2 years anyway, so I just use the hell out of them. Currently on a droid 2. Been a pretty good one. Might go to a droid 3 or incredible 2 in the next week or so.

Check your phone insurance, besides the monthly charge my phone insurance has  a $100 co pay.

• 6 years later...